[p2p-research] Resilience and scale invariance

marc fawzi marc.fawzi at gmail.com
Wed Apr 22 08:56:03 CEST 2009

<<

> irrational mistakes do not have to be tied to emotion or
> "malfunctions" in any way.  Again, optical illusions provide a useful
> example of a perceptual system being tricked by working the way it is
> supposed to work, with emotion playing no role.

If you blame mistakes on the way our brain works that does not take
responsibility from the person committing the mistake to fix that mistake
and correct their behavior (i.e. correct what makes them make mistakes, e.g.
take some medication or correct the problem in their cognition)

A cannibal's brain maybe wired to perceive people as food but that does not
make eating people OK.

I had read "Why We Make Mistakes" and found it to be tactically insightful
but philosophically tacky.

If my job was to follow a straight line and if my brain is wired to see the
line as being curved while it's in fact straight then I need to wear some
glasses that correct for the optical illusion or figure out a technique to
see the line without any distortion.

Personal responsibility cannot be abandoned by simply saying that look at
optical illusions it's not our fault we were made that way.

If you're in charge of some nuclear facility and your brain is wired to
trick you in a way that causes the reaction to melt down you should really
fix the way you process what your brain tells you, e.g. by establishing
tests or using some tool.

So as far as people's relationship to money (and relationships exists around
money not just with money) even if people (we) are wired for certain
behavioral patterns if those patterns are causing problems we need to
abandon them.

That is rationality.

Emotion would be the fear one has of changing their behavior and the symptom
of fear of changing a damaging behavior, IMO, is to blame it on the way our
brains are wired. That is fear of change. That is emotion.

Rationality would be to recognize the fear of change and actually proceed
with making the change/fix.

Marc

--

Marc Fawzi