[p2p-research] Resilience and scale invariance

Stan Rhodes stanleyrhodes at gmail.com
Wed Apr 22 08:35:27 CEST 2009

One other thing occurred to me right as I hit "send."  That is, there
is often a false dichotomy of rational versus emotional.  The wording
that initially struck me in your email seemed to imply there was an
emotional and abnormal psychology at play causing people to have weird
or dysfunctional relationships with money.

However, a better-supported perspective accompanies behavioral
economics: first, that the "rational" of classic theory is actually an
ideal "superrational" that really isn't possible in practice; and
second, that irrational mistakes do not have to be tied to emotion or
"malfunctions" in any way.  Again, optical illusions provide a useful
example of a perceptual system being tricked by working the way it is
supposed to work, with emotion playing no role.

-- Stan