[p2p-research] Resilience and scale invariance

Stan Rhodes stanleyrhodes at gmail.com
Sun Apr 19 23:42:32 CEST 2009

marc,

I'm not sure your realizations are similar, but your engineering
background is quite different from my psychology background.  Risk
aversion is well known, and it's very reasonable that people would not
want to abandon the existing system. I wouldn't say people's varied
conceptual models for money are any weirder or more disturbing than
their models for other aspects of life.  Beware of correspondence
bias.

Unfortunately, alternative / complementary currencies cannot--or at
least, currently do not--address the issue of inequity, particularly
of property, but also commons in general, so I think the money
movements are addressing more of a symptom than the disease.

Crisis often brings change, but it rarely ever brings good change.  In
crisis mode, people are less rational than usual, and make desperate
choices, whether behind the counter at McDonald's or behind the desk
in the Oval Office.

-- Stan