[p2p-research] Complete statistics on illegal downloads, anybody?

M. Fioretti mfioretti at nexaima.net
Sun Apr 19 12:31:24 CEST 2009

Greetings,

we continuously see lots of statistics proving, so to speak, how big
and bad digital piracy is, that is how many millions of copyrighted
files are illegally downloaded every hour, day, month, etc..

I am looking for some more info on this matter, namely:

1) of each million downloads, how many are of movies and songs which,
   at that same moment, one could see in a theater, or buy or rent on
   DVD/CD? How many of that million downloads are movies and songs
   which are in the top charts in the same moment? How many are
   pictures are from the last calendar of some bikini model? And how
   many of those downloads, instead, are of works older than, say, 20
   years or not available anymore, for whatever reason, for sale or
   rent? Oh, and how many illegal downloads are of _books_?

2) How many downloaded files are actually **used**? I have a very
   strong feeling that many people, especially younger ones, simply
   download 24/7 all they can just because it's cool, everybody does
   it, it increases rank in some networks (a), collector's mania and
   so on... but after download many of those files are **never**
   opened by who downloaded them

So, are there any "official" statistics which answer these specific
questions?

Thank you in advance for any feedback,

      Marco Fioretti
      digital rights at http://mfioretti.com