[p2p-research] Resilience and scale invariance

Stan Rhodes stanleyrhodes at gmail.com
Sun Apr 19 08:49:11 CEST 2009

The alternative currency movement does not necessarily pay that much
attention to economics, and practically no one in any walk of life
pays attention to behavioral economics--its implications are very
counter-intuitive and often undermine established methods of doing
things.  I assume if you're a fan of Taleb then you're also familiar
with Daniel Kahneman, Richard Thaler, et al.  I've mentioned them
before in emails, but I don't think you were part of the list back
then.  I wish I had more time to write about it, but most of the
research is quite accessible.

I would also strongly recommend reading some of his studies with N Mazar:
http://www.rotman.utoronto.ca/facbios/file/Mazar_Dishonesty_forthcomingJMR.pdf

They not only test people in various scenarios, they then test
people's ability to predict the experimental subjects' performance.
Turns out, we don't do what we think we do.

If you want to puzzle your mind yet more, consider the explorations here:
http://www.edge.org/3rd_culture/thaler_sendhil08/class5.html

Good luck,
-- Stan