[p2p-research] [p2p energy economy] Resilience and scale invariance

marc fawzi marc.fawzi at gmail.com
Sat Apr 18 22:03:09 CEST 2009

Scale always matters.

As does the deep/unconscious psychology surrounding money (people's
relationship to and their use/abuse of money, themselves and others)

There is a flow optimization issue in the current 1st-layer design of the
P2P Energy Economy so I'm not getting into the scale issue until I arrive at
a method for flow optimization (and that's when I'd be tempted to simulate
the model... still the project has a life span of 10-25 years so I got
enough time to evolve it) Having said that, biochemical flows in living
systems, including plants, (or the "economy of life") exist as a model, so
that should make it easier to study.

But even in its current state, the work is not trivial to many as I still
see people confusing the 'flow of energy' with the concept of a 'potential
energy' that is stored and transactable as an 'object' or 'token' and that
gets people thinking the wrong way about it.

Marc

On Sat, Apr 18, 2009 at 12:44 PM, Ryan Lanham <rlanham1963 at gmail.com> wrote:

> Interesting goal for sustainable ops...scale invariance...p2p should tend
> to optimize for this.
>

> http://globalguerrillas.typepad.com/globalguerrillas/2009/04/resilient-communities-and-scale-invariance.html
>
> Marc, in your flows concept, does scale matter?  I'm reading Hy Minsky now
> on John Maynard Keynes, and he spends a lot of time discussing scale in
> various ways.
>
> Also, Dan Ariely, in *Predictably Irrrational *discusses the fact that
> theft is a greater issue in tokens than in cash systmes (2nd to last
> chapter).  Haven't seen that line developed re: alternative currencies /
> open money.  He seems to suggest tokens aren't perceived as "real" and
> therefore are less likely to trigger moral barriers.
>
> Ryan Lanham

Marc Fawzi
Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/people/Marc-Fawzi/605919256
LinkedIn: http://www.linkedin.com/in/marcfawzi