[p2p-research] CatBot...and an introduction.

Michel Bauwens michelsub2004 at gmail.com
Sat Apr 18 10:31:26 CEST 2009

Hi Tomas,

my apologies about being late in my reply.

after my long trip, and the chaos in thailand, I'm only now slowly getting
back to my backlog, working in reverse chronological order ...

perhaps you could present Catbot in a little more formal way, for
publication as a blogpost? please add the same type of commentary, as it is
very timely given the pirate bay trial!

I would have the same remark about your internet film project. If you want,
we can even upgrade it to book of the week? This would mean a general
presentation, plus 2 excerpts, for publication on 3 separate days during a
week.

I'm happy to see savvy people like you join, are you already on Ning?

Michel

On Tue, Apr 7, 2009 at 10:56 PM, Tomas Rawlings <tom at fluffylogic.net> wrote:

> Hi - I have recently joined the list having seen Michel speak in Bristol,
> UK and become inspired by the work of the p2p foundation - so I joined.
>
> I am currently doing a PhD at the University of the West of England looking
> at the cross-over points between evolutionary theory and p2p.  The idea
> grows out of seeing p2p file trading technology survive attack upon attack
> by the music and film industry and thinking; "this seems like the mythic
> Hydra - when you cut off one head, two new ones grow." and then realising
> upon closer examination it was much more than this:  What is clearer to me
> now is that the opposition of the music and film industry have created a
> kind of 'survival of the fittest' environment for p2p technology where the
> more vulnerable systems get legally taken out, but less vulnerable ones -
> more decentralised systems - survive and produce new generations of their
> technology.  Ironically, the better the music and film industry have fared
> in the courts, the more interesting the technology this has developed.  At
> least that is where the thinking is now...
>
> As part of all this, we run a project, CatBot - this is looking at the idea
> of building a simple to use p2p torrent system for universities and other
> such institutions to allow easy publishing of material to the public.  There
> is much more about this project here; http://catbot.org/help.php and there
> is a news mailing-list to keep up-to date with the project at;
> http://mail.fluffylogic.net/cgi-bin/mailman/listinfo/catbot-news
>
> Myself and my colleague Ana also blog at plugincinema -
> http://www.plugincinema.com - a site about film and the internet, and also
> the subject of Ana's PhD research.  As part of this we wrote the first book
> looking at Internet filmmaking, which you can download for free/buy from
> here; http://plugincinema.com/plugin/content/view/168/46/
>
> Thanks for taking the time to read all this, and thanks for all the
> interesting links and information you all post to the list!
>
> --
> Tomas

Volunteering at the P2P Foundation:
http://p2pfoundation.ning.com