[p2p-research] Snowdrift Game vs Prisoner's Dilemma

Michel Bauwens michelsub2004 at gmail.com
Sat Apr 18 09:42:48 CEST 2009

Marc,

I'm very interested,

could you write it in such a way that it's a two-part contribution to our
wiki, which I can then publish on the blog as well,

the file would be called Snowdrift Game (
http://p2pfoundation.net/Snowdrift_Game)

and would

1) first contain a description

2) under 'discussion', argue the point you are making below,

3) under 'more information' , your references,

thanks Marc,

Michel

On Wed, Apr 8, 2009 at 1:53 PM, marc fawzi <marc.fawzi at gmail.com> wrote:

> Excerpted from another email
>
> "The term "snowdrift game" is a model in evolutionary game theory that
> explains how cooperation is evolutionarily advantageous (contrary to the
> classical interpretation of the survivalist model) but only in meshes
> (according to the latest work done in this field) while it fails  in
> hierarchies (i.e. leads to the extinction of those who provide unpaid
> cooperation) ... It turns out the other model called the Prisoner's Dilemma
> is optimal in hierarchies but it is a classical survivalist model."
>
> I want to put the "snowdrift game + mesh WORKS_BETTER_THAN prisoner's
> dilemma + hierarchy" game theory meme out there, and my belief is that
> "renewable hierarchies" (which i had described as being similar to, e.g. US
> Congress, EU Parliament, etc) operate more like a mesh from a game
> theoretical perspective because they could theoretically lead to well-mixed
> population in the production organization (as workers are replaced
> frequently) but now I realize that in order to get a well-mixed population
> the hierarchy has to be as flat as possible from the management and
> organizational views (without losing coordination) to minimize hierarchical
> interactions and maximize mesh interaction and the renewal of workers in the
> production hierarchy has to happen as frequently as possible... (I realized
> this requires a graphical simulation to show clearly.)
>
> I can supply more references and explanations if anyone is interested.
>
> Marc

Volunteering at the P2P Foundation:
http://p2pfoundation.ning.com