[p2p-research] [p2p energy economy] Fwd: Follow up

Ryan Lanham rlanham1963 at gmail.com
Thu Apr 16 14:40:24 CEST 2009

Marc:

This may seem a bit governmental, but I'd argue the key to your system is
the policy objective a given currency wishes to optimize--set through some
collaborative governance mechanism or by a representative group (e.g. a
chamber of commerce or a community foundation).

Use arbitrage between currencies allow different "pots" of money to
reallocate.  In a prison, cigarettes might be used to buy services, and cans
of mackeral used to buy goods, but you can have a market between mack and
cigs.

In other words, think of a rainbow of color currencies.  Orange is for this,
blue is for that.  If you want blue to optimize efficient production of
non-carbon energy, price it in energy units accordingly.  Let market
mechanisms reallocate with possible REGULATORY governance actions that can
intervene to change supply/demand in arbitrage options.

There is a tendency for people to dislike markets because of some of their
failings.  That's throwing the baby out with the bathwater.  The key to a
polyarchic currency system, I believe, is to allow rapid creation of policy
objectives (new colors) combined with rapid introduction of market-based
arbitrage between colors.  Use limited numbers of price-settings in auctions
to reduce speculative games.  In other words, the rate set between orange
and blue may only be set twice a day, etc.

Who sets?  The high bidder, up to some limit...then the next highest bidder,
and so forth.

The key is allowance of persistent coupon systems matching policy aims (like
a bond market really, but more liquid and fungible).  In current worlds,
that aim (the policy objective of a currency) is the growth of a given
currency economy or allowance of government actions that can use currency
devaluation to achieve some governmental policy objective (e.g. short term
consumption against long-term pain.)

Ryan Lanham