[p2p-research] Prospect Magazine: After Capitalism

Michel Bauwens michelsub2004 at gmail.com
Mon Apr 13 06:23:12 CEST 2009

Dear Andy,

I'm not assuming any bad faith on your part, as I said in my previous reply,
I recognize you have given a lot of serious thought about this, and again,
most of what you say about what is happening, I have no beef with. But try
as I might, I cannot equate even the current China with Nazism and
Stalinism, though there for historical reasons, the term might be applied as
a weakening of the previous 'total' regime.

In the West for me, recognizing the attempts at control, and especially your
analysis in the paragraph below, I'd call it indeed a new version of the
national security state.

For me, it's an insecure model, partly realisable because it also is
acceptable to many people (most people accept CCTV), most internet users
have no beef with privacy matters etc..). There has been a drift, and it is
a dangerous one, we agree on that, and I would call it indeed a national
security state or some such thing.

Unlike Ryan's point, though I broadly share the optimism, I would leave the
future 'open' and not derive it from the technology alone, and future
developments will depend on the social struggles developing in the coming
years, when the social rage caused by the meltdown will come to fruition. It
could lead to more reforms, or to authoritarian setbacks. If the latter
occurs, but only then, real dangers of neototalitarianism could occur.

By the way, the p2p approach I advocate is not about being passive in the
face of such dangers, but to actively link technology with conscious social
ideals and interests, so as to embed them more strongly in society, and made
authoritarian trends increasingly dificult to maintain,

The state and those that benefit from unequal societies have always tried to
tamper with democracy, with an ebb and flow of these tentative attempts
depending on the strength and mobilization of civil society,

Michel

Also, the growing speed and power of networks of all kinds (activism,
reactive and "terrorist" networks, capitalist networks) is seriously
threatening to the state.  Networks have speed which states can't match.  To
try to match it, states speed up.  The only way states can speed up is by
simplifying procedures and eliminating checks and balances and other
"subtleties".  Another temptation is to cut down open space per se, so as to
deny it to networks.  Still another, that as effective, successful state
action becomes increasingly difficult (e.g. identifying perpetrators of
"crimes"), states sacrifice precision for clumsier forms of "effectiveness"
(criminalising "preparatory" action, loosening evidential standards,
performing collective punishment, declaring certain groups to be deviant in
advance of any action).  I see it as a kind of "statist integralism" -
states lashing out against their future irrelevance by acting-out.  (This is
actually similar to the origins of classical totalitarianism, which fed off
a similar declining or besieged status of certain strata or regimes).

On 4/13/09, Andy Robinson <ldxar1 at gmail.com> wrote:

> Ryan (and maybe Michel), I assure you guys it's not hyperbole on my part, I
> have serious conceptual reasons for what I'm saying.  Please don't assume
> bad faith.
>
> I'd also add that I'm referring specifically to America (under Bush),
> Britain and a few other cases here (Israel, maybe Australia, to some degree
> Italy and Spain but without the capacity to really realise the model), as
> well as perhaps a few cases of dictatorships (e.g. China, Iran), NOT to the
> whole of western Europe - Sarkozy, Rasmussen, Karamanlis and their ilk would
> certainly LIKE to realise this social form but will have to smash some very
> strong and impressive social movements to manage it.  There are some sectors
> of the EU which seem to aspire to turn the whole of Europe into an instance
> of this model, but this remains a future matter.
>
> The dispute seems to be twofold - first of all, I'm using the term
> "neototalitarianism" to mean the reproduction of totalitarian traits in all
> but a few spheres - exceptions being the maintenance of media freedom,
> multiparty systems, some rights protections.  Secondly there is a
> substantive dispute over how intrusive or powerful the regime is, or can
> become (and whether this is relevant to its designation).
>
> Taking the first point first.  You guys seem to be saying that these
> exceptions are actually fundamental to the concepts concerned, that
> something can't be totalitarian without for instance prohibiting all
> dissident speech.  In a sense, fair enough - it's about fixity of language
> vs conceptual slippage or expansion - but the choice of terms does not
> negate the concept - perhaps you would rather use the term "national
> security state" or "control society" or whatever; then simply  translate my
> term "neototalitarianism" as the same concept under a different name.
> Personally I think my name for it is good for three reasons - firstly the
> big similarities in spite of the differences, secondly that the ethical
> position of dissent and of the subject is similar in this form as in
> totalitarianism, and thirdly that the strategic field for dissent is very
> similar, i.e. that writings on resistance in totalitarian regimes seem to me
> to be rather closer to the situation of residual dissent in Britain today
> than writings on social movements in liberal-democracies or authoritarian
> regimes.  I think there are A LOT of similarities.  I have in mind things
> like the terror arrest regime, ASBOs, the prohibition of "harassment" (taken
> to mean offensive speech), the corrosion of professional autonomy across a
> range of spheres, "control orders", various imprecise legal categories,
> flooding city centres with police and "wardens", the ID database and ID card
> plans, expanded police impunity, etc.  Also the way the government has fused
> with the police, security services and managers, and the ways civil society
> [...]

Volunteering at the P2P Foundation:
http://p2pfoundation.ning.com