[p2p-research] CatBot...and an introduction.

Tomas Rawlings tom at fluffylogic.net
Tue Apr 7 17:56:31 CEST 2009

Hi - I have recently joined the list having seen Michel speak in
Bristol, UK and become inspired by the work of the p2p foundation - so I
joined.

I am currently doing a PhD at the University of the West of England
looking at the cross-over points between evolutionary theory and p2p.
The idea grows out of seeing p2p file trading technology survive attack
upon attack by the music and film industry and thinking; "this seems
like the mythic Hydra - when you cut off one head, two new ones grow."
and then realising upon closer examination it was much more than this:
What is clearer to me now is that the opposition of the music and film
industry have created a kind of 'survival of the fittest' environment
for p2p technology where the more vulnerable systems get legally taken
out, but less vulnerable ones - more decentralised systems - survive and
produce new generations of their technology.  Ironically, the better the
music and film industry have fared in the courts, the more interesting
the technology this has developed.  At least that is where the thinking
is now...

As part of all this, we run a project, CatBot - this is looking at the
idea of building a simple to use p2p torrent system for universities and
other such institutions to allow easy publishing of material to the
public.  There is much more about this project here;
http://catbot.org/help.php and there is a news mailing-list to keep
up-to date with the project at;
http://mail.fluffylogic.net/cgi-bin/mailman/listinfo/catbot-news

Myself and my colleague Ana also blog at plugincinema -
http://www.plugincinema.com - a site about film and the internet, and
also the subject of Ana's PhD research.  As part of this we wrote the
first book looking at Internet filmmaking, which you can download for
free/buy from here; http://plugincinema.com/plugin/content/view/168/46/

Thanks for taking the time to read all this, and thanks for all the
interesting links and information you all post to the list!

--
Tomas

Tomas Rawlings
e: tom at fluffylogic.net