[p2p-research] The truth, the story or the lie

paola.dimaio at gmail.com paola.dimaio at gmail.com
Mon Apr 6 00:46:53 CEST 2009

Mark , I dont have to read all the posts in my inbox, but truth interest me.

 what you say below gets to me badly
you need to investigate more, prolly refine your method
broaden the base of people you are interviewing, your reserch maybe biased,
what kind of people are you asking? i think both philosophers and scientists
would be looking for truth in some form, you may have to work more on your
sampling

On Sun, Apr 5, 2009 at 11:21 PM, marc fawzi <marc.fawzi at gmail.com> wrote:

> I've been running an informal experiment (or p2p survey) to find out which
> version of a given reality is most appealing to people based on people's
> reaction:
>
> 1. The facts, unbiased (i.e. the truth)
>
> 2. The story (what the majority of people want to hear, including "white
> lies")
>
> 3. An out right lie (deception, with the purpose of gaining an advantage at
> the expense of others or getting away with murder etc)
>
> So far #2 and #3 are tied for the top spot.
>
> I'll formalize the experiment and release the procedure. It applies to all
> areas of social and business research.
>
> If someone is operating under the impression that #1 is the most appealing
> route (as I have been) they will be surprised when they perform the
> experiment.
>
> If I was in the business of selling opinions for profit (e.g. a blogger who
> relies on ad revenue or popularity for a living) I would be adopting #2 and
> if I was menacing and manipulative I would be adopting #3.  The ranks of the
> principled opinion makers are shrinking as more and more people shut their
> ears to the harsh reality and more and more opinion makers find it more
> productive (and/or profitable) to sell people on appealing stories or out
> right lies.
>
> I'm just waking up to this...
>
> Marc

Paola Di Maio,
Forthcoming
IEEE/DEST 09 Collective Intelligence Track (deadline extended)

i-Semantics 2009, 2 - 4 September 2009, Graz, Austria.
www.i-semantics.tugraz.at

SEMAPRO 2009, Malta
http://www.iaria.org/conferences2009/CfPSEMAPRO09.html