[p2p-research] The truth, the story or the lie

marc fawzi marc.fawzi at gmail.com
Mon Apr 6 01:55:16 CEST 2009

I was staying at a ranch near the Mexican border in a town known for having
been a major copper mining town.

http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&source=s_q&hl=en&geocode=&sll=31.435621,-109.895124&sspn=0.036397,0.077248&ie=UTF8&t=h&ll=31.342202,-109.574118&spn=0.025657,0.036478&z=14&iwloc=addr

The big blue areas on the ground are not lakes. They're massive holes
produced by mining.

I found out that the concentration of Arsenic in surface water in Douglas,
AZ and nearby areas (due to the copper mining and processing plant nearby)
was twice the EPA limit.

So armed with this fact, I went around telling locals one of three versions
of reality (before telling them the fact about the Arsenic):

1. "Drinking water from local surface reservoirs carries a serious health
hazard"  (the fact, unbiased)  The Response was overwhelmingly negative and
most people were unhappy with the message and even resisted it saying there
water is fine etc.

2. "The other day I found out that the level of Arsenic in the water here is
a little high but it probably won't kill you... Everyday people talk about
this thing or that thing causing cancer and now they say baby feeding
bottles cause cancer so maybe people need to chill out and relax"  The
response to this was mostly in agreement with people saying that the water
doesn't kill anyone

3. "The other day I was reading in a science magazine that a little bit of
Arsenic or a little bit of something bad can be good, so the Arsenic in the
water maybe a good thing.. you never know"  The response here was people
joking about it or dismissing what I'm saying as a joke and not thinking
about it the fact that THERE IS TWICE THE AMOUNT OF ARSENIC IN THEIR WATER
AS THE EPA MAXIMUM LIMIT!!!

The sample was small town folks, not very educated.

I have since come up with 10 or so other examples applying to different
types of audience and while this is extremely rough and informal I believe
that it has some merit as an experiment, at least justifying a more
formal/methodical effort on my part.

Marc