[p2p-research] The truth, the story or the lie

marc fawzi marc.fawzi at gmail.com
Mon Apr 6 00:21:41 CEST 2009

I've been running an informal experiment (or p2p survey) to find out which
version of a given reality is most appealing to people based on people's
reaction:

1. The facts, unbiased (i.e. the truth)

2. The story (what the majority of people want to hear, including "white
lies")

3. An out right lie (deception, with the purpose of gaining an advantage at
the expense of others or getting away with murder etc)

So far #2 and #3 are tied for the top spot.

I'll formalize the experiment and release the procedure. It applies to all
areas of social and business research.

If someone is operating under the impression that #1 is the most appealing
route (as I have been) they will be surprised when they perform the
experiment.

If I was in the business of selling opinions for profit (e.g. a blogger who
relies on ad revenue or popularity for a living) I would be adopting #2 and
if I was menacing and manipulative I would be adopting #3.  The ranks of the
principled opinion makers are shrinking as more and more people shut their
ears to the harsh reality and more and more opinion makers find it more
productive (and/or profitable) to sell people on appealing stories or out
right lies.

I'm just waking up to this...

Marc