[p2p-research] after america, china, after china, the empire

Michel Bauwens michelsub2004 at gmail.com
Mon Sep 29 06:54:35 CEST 2008

Dear Kevin,

thanks for those interesting comments, which I'm publishing on oct 2 ...

I agree that it is unfortunate that he goes back to Maoist totalitarianism
as an alternative to the present system ...

I was not aware that Gorbachev was contemplating such reforms, do you have
any pointers on that?

Michel

On Mon, Sep 29, 2008 at 12:52 AM, Kevin Carson <
free.market.anticapitalist at gmail.com> wrote:

> On 9/25/08, Michel Bauwens <michelsub2004 at gmail.com> wrote:
> > First of all, please see this wonderful clear exposition of the issues
> > around peer production,
> > http://mutualist.blogspot.com/2008/09/chapter-fifteen-excerpts-peer.html
> >

> Thanks, Michel.
>
> > but this book on china is really hyper-important,
> > http://www.econ.utah.edu/~mli/index.htm<http://www.econ.utah.edu/%7Emli/index.htm>(SEE THE TOC link,
> > or video at
> >
> http://therealnews.com/t/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=33&Itemid=74&jumival=188
> )
> >
> > it's basic thesis is that the world system cannot survive the rise of
> china,
> > I see it as crucial support for my own thesis here at
> >
> http://blog.p2pfoundation.net/peer-to-peer-and-the-feudal-transition/2007/09/10
> >

> >From reading the Preface, he seems to be starting mainly from the
> argument in vol. 3 of Capital, on the expansion of capital into new
> frontiers of low cost and underaccumulation as a counteracting
> tendency to the falling direct rate of profit.  Li argues that China
> was the last such large-scale outlet (the last frontier), and is
> unable to continue to absorb capital investment on a scale sufficient
> to serve as an outlet for Western surplus capital.
>
> IMO this parallels the collapse of the tech bubble (the tech industry
> being another example of a new field of investment of the sort Marx
> discussed as a relief for surplus capital), and the housing bubble
> (which was really associated with further mass-suburbanization, in the
> ways discussed by Kunstler, as a new field for surplus capital).
> Starting ca. 1940 with large-scale rearmament, the problem of
> overaccumulation has been remedied by one government effort after
> another, both through large-scale armament production and the direct
> creation of one new industry after another (the expansion of the car
> culture, suburbanization, and the trucking industry after WWII; the
> direct outgrowth of the miniaturized electronics industry from the
> military economy; the desktop revolution from the '80s on; the new
> wave of suburbanization and the SUV culture; etc.).
>
> As you suggest, Michel, capitalism is running out of such outlets
> because the unenforceability of IP is resulting in a crisis of
> realization.  And as Li suggests, there's a limit to how far the
> problem can be circumvented by exporting capital, because there's only
> one Earth.
>
> IMO there's another way in which China is about to hit the wall.
> China's economic process to date has relied on enormous, extensive
> addition of energy inputs, enabled through artificially low pricing of
> energy within the Chinese state capitalist economy (around a third of
> the world price, I believe).  Now, China can price energy inputs
> internally in whatever Alice in Wonderland way it wants.  But it
> [...]

The P2P Foundation researches, documents and promotes peer to peer
alternatives.

Basic essay at http://www.ctheory.net/articles.aspx?id=499; interview at
http://poynder.blogspot.com/2006/09/p2p-very-core-of-world-to-come.html
BEST VIDEO ON P2P: