[p2p-research] (almost) Gone to Croatan

Josef Davies-Coates josef at uniteddiversity.com
Mon Sep 22 19:53:35 CEST 2008

I don't have a solution but I have an idea:

Turn the p2p foundation into the crowdfund I've been dreaming of! :P

My idea is to get people to agree to pool at least 1% of their income into a
shared pot and spend 1% of their time working on commons goals. We decide
together how best to invest the pooled money (in projects like e.g.
http://openfarmtech.org ) and individually choose tasks to work on.

Anyone up for helping to take this idea forward?

Smiles,

Josef.

2008/9/22 Paul B. Hartzog <paulbhartzog at gmail.com>

> On Sun, Sep 21, 2008 at 4:37 PM, Samuel Rose <samuel.rose at gmail.com>
> wrote:
> > Perhaps it is time soon to think about how to bring both p2p foundation
> and
> > cooperation commons back from the "ashes" as something new? I will be in
> > more of a position to think about this in a few months time. The work is
> > critical in my opinion, especially now that people are beginning to try
> and
> > do this stuff, use it to solve real world problems. We need to make these
> > knowledge bases, network projects and activities more flexible, so that
> they
> > can change and adapt over time as conditions change (like for instance
> that
> > it is no longer novel for many people to contribute to a wiki, and so
> harder
> > to rely on that type of contribution model that worked better only a few
> > years ago) , and to allow people to make a living from them.
>
> I agree with Sam on this (and would include panarchy.com in the
> conversation as well.  More to the point, there are also other players
> in these networks.  I we could somehow mobilize broader scale
> cooperation, we might cross a critical-mass threshold.  I think one of
> the key reasons none of these players HAVE crossed those thresholds is
> that they are keeping a sort of "walled garden" based on their own
> evolutionary histories etc. (I know I have been guilty of this for
> sure).
>
> I don't have any solutions, but a conversation of some kind is of interest.
>
> -p

> http://www.PaulBHartzog.org
> http://www.panarchy.com
> PaulBHartzog at PaulBHartzog.org
> PaulBHartzog at panarchy.com
> PHartzog at umich.edu
> The Universe is made up of stories, not atoms.
>  --Muriel Rukeyser
>
> See differently, then you will act differently.
>  --Paul B. Hartzog

Josef Davies-Coates
07974 88 88 95
http://uniteddiversity.com