[p2p-research] The Numerati. A story of the Taylorization of the service and information economies!

Samuel Rose samuel.rose at gmail.com
Fri Sep 12 16:26:08 CEST 2008

On Fri, Sep 12, 2008 at 12:10 AM, Nathan Cravens <knuggy at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi Samuel,
>
> From 'By building mathematical models of its own employees, IBM aims to
> improve productivity and automate management':
>
> "Eventually, companies could take this knowledge much further, using the
> numbers, in a sense, to clone us. Imagine, says Aleksandra Mojsilovic, one
> of Takriti's close colleagues, that the company has a superior worker named
> Joe Smith. Management could really benefit from two or three others just
> like him, or even a dozen. Once the company has built rich mathematical
> profiles of Smith and his fellow workers, it might be possible to identify
> at least a few of the experiences or routines that make Joe Smith so good.
> "If you had the full employment history, you could even compute the steps to
> become a Joe Smith," she says. "I'm not saying you can recreate a scientist,
> or a painter, or a musician," Mojsilovic adds. "But there are a lot of job
> roles that are really commodities." And if people turn out to be poorly
> designed for these jobs, they'll be reconfigured, first mathematically and
> then in life."
>
> I see proprietary agencies, due to the evolutionary forces of competition,
> sidestepping the worker's activity to perform the function itself without
> costly human mechanisms known as labor. A once highly payed white collar
> salary worker with multiple PhDs is bound to go back to school only so many
> times to relent the job market.
>

> The more detailed the model of an organization, the best weakness are
> observed and rooted out with intelligence automation.

Nathan,

If corporate workplaces are bound to become so cybernetic in nature, then I
think that this will push many people to work towards becoming independent,
just because all of the humanity will have been drained out of workplaces
(not that it wasn't already!)

People can only take so much of this kind of stuff, in my experience. This
kind of Taylorism will just drive more people to either seek out companies
that don't do this, or become independents, that is my prediction (and
independents will need p2p systems to work effectively)

--
Sam Rose
Social Synergy
email: samuel.rose at gmail.com