[p2p-research] launch of open manufacturing forum

Michel Bauwens michelsub2004 at gmail.com
Thu Sep 11 09:49:07 CEST 2008

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: Nathan Cravens <knuggy at gmail.com>
Date: Thu, Sep 11, 2008 at 2:41 AM
Subject: Re: A Powerful Conversation
To: Michel Bauwens <michelsub2004 at gmail.com>
Cc: Chris Watkins <chriswaterguy at appropedia.org>, Dhananjay Gadre <
dvgadre at gmail.com>, Smári McCarthy <spm2 at hi.is>, Helen Titchen Beeth <
helen.titchen.beeth at mac.com>, Georg Pleger <georg at pleger.at>, Vinay Gupta <
hexayurt at gmail.com>, Eric Hunting <erichunting at gmail.com>, Mel Chua <
mel at melchua.com>

Hello,

I formed a group called Open Manufacturing. I look forward to taking part in
the great discussion and debates to come. I thought the name 'Open
Manufacturing' would be more economical than the title Physical Peer-to-Peer
Production, although calling it P4 might be fun. You can send this link to
those you think might find this group of interest:
http://groups.google.com/group/openmanufacturing If other discussion groups
on this topic exist, inform me, I'll join them.

My work in Mutually Assured Production is a more organizational approach to
the topic of Open Manufacturing than a strict detailed engineering scheme. I
think it will take a variety of engineering groups to construct what the
work foresees, so I've decided to make the work general enough so that a
variety of groups can use the material as a reference rather than a step by
step instructional. I will do my best to highlight the most prominent
manufacturing techniques researched and practiced, as I learn about them, to
stimulate further discussion and development.

I don't claim that MAP is the only approach to bringing about the goal of
personally fabricating 'everything'. I do think we'll likely see Industrial
society progress in a similar manner as the phases describe, given
proprietary agencies compete with a variety of forces MAP mentions. The Open
Design Community is proprietary's most challenging competitor, and I think
we all agree it will eventually lose the fight in the long run. A MAP
initiative is to convince other backgrounds of this certainty.

For a briefer on MAP view:
http://www.p2pfoundation.net/Category:MAP#Description_of_the_Project You may
also refer to a fun article I wrote for the Institute for Ethics and
Emerging Technologies titled, 'Mutually Assured Production for Universal
Well Being: A Brief Introductory Discussion' (
http://ieet.org/index.php/IEET/more/map2/) To collaborate on writing MAP,
contact me and I'll send you an invite. Once a decent draft is cooked up
I'll have it available as a wiki. I've spent more time reading than writing
lately, I have a great deal of background to develop, especially since
there's a great deal of ground to cover, so it may be sometime before a
draft is written and fully open.

It is the work of self replicating engineering techniques that will create
abundance in manufacturing and the end of markets and other proprietary
agencies they rely on. I'm delighted to have come in contact with those more
interested in the more technical approaches to the subject. I look forward
to learning more in this new field and discussing and debating the finer
details on the Open Manufacturing group.

In Solidarity,
Nathan