[p2p-research] P2P law presentation and cleaning?

Michel Bauwens michelsub2004 at gmail.com
Thu Sep 4 06:01:55 CEST 2008

Dear Marco,

as far as I know, the US and the UK have most traction on this ... see below
for sources

but the good fight is going on everywhere:
http://blog.p2pfoundation.net/the-argument-for-open-access-to-public-sector-data/2008/09/01

some background:

wiki:

http://p2pfoundation.net/Open_Government_Data ;
http://p2pfoundation.net/Open_Government_Open_Source_Hacking

http://p2pfoundation.net/Open_Data ;
http://p2pfoundation.net/Open_Data_Commons ;
http://p2pfoundation.net/Open_Data_Movement

keeping track of the issue via
http://delicious.com/mbauwens/Open-Government-Data ;
http://delicious.com/mbauwens/Open-Data

and our politics session, keeps tabs on many open politics projects
regarding transparent govt:

http://p2pfoundation.net/Category:Politics

see also http://p2pfoundation.net/Category:Open

On Thu, Sep 4, 2008 at 3:28 AM, M. Fioretti <mfioretti at nexaima.net> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> probably several of you already know this guy, but here's an
> initiative which, besides being good in itself, also has a potential
> "p2p production" side:
>
> "Carl Malamud... wants California -- and every other federal, state
> and local agency -- to drop their copyright claims on law, contending
> it will pave the way for innovators to create new ways of searching
> and presenting laws."
>
> Full story at:
>
> http://www.pressdemocrat.com/article/20080903/NEWS/809030309/1350&title=Getting_access__one_document_at_a_time
>
> Related note/question/proposal: theoretically, having all those texts
> online in an editable form would be great for producing
> collaboratively, through a wiki, a much cleaner, understandable,
> slimmer (=democratic?) corpus of laws. It would be the first step to
> allow everybody to produce and propose:
>
> - simpler texts of existing laws, ie formulations which have the same
>  legal meaning of the current one but don't require a law degree and
>  a pint of analgesics to understand them. Here in Italy we have
>  several words which ONLY exist in the text of some laws...
>
> - works that prove that a law is redundant/overlapping/
>  obsolete/unapplicable or in plain contrast with other existing laws,
>  making it much simpler to gather popular support for proposals to
>  abolish, rewrite or improve that law
>
> I even talked with a lawyer friend of mine last year because I'd have
> liked to put together something like this in Italy, but the same
> problem Malamud is fighting plus other complications and, of course,
> lack of time, made the idea die almost immediately. Does something
> like this already exist in other countries?
>
>     Marco
>
> --
> Your own civil rights and the quality of your life heavily depend on how
> software is used *around* you:            http://digifreedom.net/node/84

The P2P Foundation researches, documents and promotes peer to peer
alternatives.

Basic essay at http://www.ctheory.net/articles.aspx?id=499; interview at
http://poynder.blogspot.com/2006/09/p2p-very-core-of-world-to-come.html
BEST VIDEO ON P2P: