[p2p-research] About vectorialism

Michel Bauwens michelsub2004 at gmail.com
Sat Oct 25 04:20:50 CEST 2008

Dear Herve,

as you know I have a fundamental problem with the vectorial thesis.

I've read Wark and his thesis applies to copyrighted mass media, in which
two conditions apply: you need a vector to be distributed, and to 'realize'
its monetization ..

or in my opinion, distributed media undermine both vectoral powers, so we
now have netarchical capitalism, proprietary platforms that do not have that
vectoral power ... they neither realize the monetization for the producer,
nor have a monopoly on the distribution ...

Thus, I find the thesis totally erroneous,

Michel

On Fri, Oct 24, 2008 at 4:05 PM, Hervé Le Crosnier <herve at info.unicaen.fr>wrote:

>        Good morning,
>
>        During the workshop in Nottingham last year, I present
>        my research concerning "vectorialism".
>
>        By this name, and following Mc Kenzie Wark,
>        i try to differentiate the new form of global
>        capital that emerge from the convergence.
>
>        I think we have to define it and follow the trail
>        to imagine new ways for new class conflicts and
>        new regulation systems in phase with this 21 century
>        form of captation of value and socio-political domination.
>
>        I have a hard time to clarify my position. I wasn't able to
>        fullfill a good article for the C&C journal...
>
>        I just have written now a french paper for a conference
>        in Paris in November.
>
>        If you can read french and give me some remarks, i will
>        be very pleased.
>
>        After is the english summary, an attached is the full text.
>        ... in french, sorry.
>
>        Yours,
>
> Hervé Le Crosnier
>

> English summary
>
> There's a paradox : the more the internet allow people to communicate
> and publish, the more main actors are concentrated. By designing as
> vectorialism this new form of monopole acting on the digital world, we
> want to distinguish this new form of domination.
> Vectorialism is a new alliance between a media economy, where financing
> is on the hand of a third actor, be it advertisment or other influence
> industry, and a toll economy. Companies emerging from the internet, as
> Google, Yahoo! or Amazon, those coming from the comptuer industry, as
> Cisco or Microsoft, from the telcos, as Orange, Verizon or SKT, and from
> medias, as Fox News or MSNBC, are becoming vectors by extension all
> along the value chain of the digital production. By this way, they cross
> administrativia or political position that once were missions of public
> bodies, and build industrial infrastructures to fullfill their computing
> needs.
> Having a broad and holistic look over all this aspects of vectorialism,
> as a typical expression of cognitive capitalism, allow researchers to
> enlight the collective decision process, and to describe the specific
> forms of the new economical domination, and its ideological or political
> consequences. And further to spot a new light on changes occuring on
> working rights and economical wealth of immaterial producers.

The P2P Foundation researches, documents and promotes peer to peer
alternatives.

Basic essay at http://www.ctheory.net/articles.aspx?id=499; interview at
http://poynder.blogspot.com/2006/09/p2p-very-core-of-world-to-come.html
BEST VIDEO ON P2P: