[p2p-research] research project: how to facilitate the dispersion of collaborative production in the material world using digital collaborative production such as p2p'

Michel Bauwens michelsub2004 at gmail.com
Wed Oct 15 19:02:18 CEST 2008

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: Joon Sang Baek <joonsbaek at gmail.com>
Date: Wed, Oct 15, 2008 at 8:07 PM
Subject: Dear Michel
To: Michel Bauwens <michelsub2004 at gmail.com>
Cc: Ezio Manzini <ezio.manzini at polimi.it>

Dear Michel,
Hello, this is Joon Sang Baek from Politecnico di Milano. I met you at
UrbanLabs conference in Barcelona last week.
Thank you again for your advice on my research and hope that your plan to
move to Europe works out well.
As I have mentioned already, my research topic is on *' how to facilitate
the dispersion of collaborative production in the material world using
digital collaborative production such as p2p'*. Due to time restraint, I
could explain it enough to you and therefore, I send you an abstract of my
research. I would be glad if you could take a moment to look at it.

Your sincerely,
Joon

ABSTRACT

Collaborative production in the material and digital
world
Joon Sang Baek (Ph.D Candidate, Politecnico di Milano, joonsbaek at gmail.com),
Ezio Manzini (Full
professor, Politecnico di Milano, ezio.manzini at polimi.it)
collaborative production,
collaborative organization, peer to peer
Innovation at the grassroots level is pervasive in our society. In various
domains,
there are groups of innovative people who actively solve problems or to open
new
possibilities, and doing so make a positive step in the social learning
process towards social
and environmental sustainability (Manzini, 2005). Meroni (2006) collected
the cases of
communities in Europe which collaborate to develop solutions to their daily
problems of
housing, eating, working, socializing and commuting. Similar cases were also
collected for
China, India and Brazil (Manzini, Jègou, 2007). Halme et al. (2005)
introduced the cases of
sustainable consumer services, business solutions for household markets
organized by
communities, local governments, corporations and non-profit organizations in
Europe.
Vezzoli (2007) introduced the cases of bottom-up social innovation and
analyzed their impact
on sustainability from the perspective of systemic design. Meanwhile,
innovation at the
grassroots level is more eminent in the digital world, an environment that
exhibits antirivarly
and inclusiveness (Cooper, 2005). Collaborative production in the digital
world is based on a
peer to peer relationship where members of a community collaborate to
accomplish a
common task in equipotential status (Bauwens, 2005). Well-known examples
include opensource
software projects such as Linux, wiki-based collaborative production such as
wikipedia and business platforms that utilize the creative commons such as
Google or
Amazon. In fact, the speed of innovation is much faster and the scale is
bigger in the digital
world than the material world.
The social innovation at the grassroots level in the two domains share in
common that they are the signals of a paradigm shift that indicate
inefficiency and inefficacy
of the current production. However, they also differ in several aspects in
terms of the type of
resources to be shared or traded, size of a community, organizational
structure, incentive
mechanism, usage of toolkits, degree of involvement and penalty of failure.
In this research,
we define the characteristics of collaborative organizations that underpin
social innovation at
the grassroots level in both the material and the digital worlds. They are
compared and their
relationship is analyzed. We then identify the obstacles to diffusing
collaborative organization
in the material world and seek for the possibility of applying collaborative
production in the
digital world to the material world to eliminate the obstacles and thus
facilitate social
innovation at the grassroots level.
Reference
Bauwens, M., Peer to peer and human evolution - On "the P2P relational
dynamic" as the
premise of the next civilizational stage. 2005.
Cooper, M., The economics of collaborative production in the spectrum
commons. IEEE,
2005: p. 379-400.
Halme, M., Sustainable consumer services: Business solutions for household
markets. 2005,
London: Earthscan.
Manzini, E., Creative communities, collaborative networks and distributed
economies -
Promising signals for a sustainable development. 2005, INDACO, Politecnico
di Milano:
Milano.
Manzini, E. and F. Jègou, Creative communities for sustainable lifestyles
(CCSL). 2007,
Politecnico di Milano
Strategic Design Scenarios: Milano.
Meroni, A., Creative communities | People inventing sustainable ways of
living, ed. A.
Meroni. 2007, Italy: Edizioni POLI.design.
Vezzoli, C., System design for sustainability. 2007, Italy: Maggioli
Editore.

--
The P2P Foundation researches, documents and promotes peer to peer
alternatives.

Basic essay at http://www.ctheory.net/articles.aspx?id=499; interview at
http://poynder.blogspot.com/2006/09/p2p-very-core-of-world-to-come.html
BEST VIDEO ON P2P: