[p2p-research] thinking about leapfrogging

M. Fioretti mfioretti at nexaima.net
Sat Oct 11 12:01:07 CEST 2008

On Sat, Oct 11, 2008 02:05:55 AM -0500, Kevin Carson wrote:
> On 10/7/08, M. Fioretti <mfioretti at nexaima.net> wrote:
> >
> >  I judge the quality of life provided by an autonomous society
> >  model or lifestyle (also) from how it guarantees all these
> >  **functional outputs**, not from *what* it consumes or in which
> >  quantities.
>
> I apologize if I mischaracterized your position.

no problem :-)

> > I say that to live well you need also need things or services that
> > cannot be manufactured or managed on a local, small, P2P scale
> > only.
>
> Local, small and P2P are not interchangeable.

I did not meant them in that way. I wrote "local, small, P2P scale" to
"sum" the three terms, not "local _or_ small _or_ P2P scale", sorry
for the confusion.  What I suggest is that local, small scale
self-production isn't capable to produce certain necessary objects
(and possibly some services, like reliable telecom). I say that maybe
it isn't sufficient, that to live well you need a society where there
still is, at least for some things, mass production and/or delegation.

> I believe that 1) the majority of the average person's use-value can
> be produced via P2P, household, informal and barter economies, or
> via manufacturing in small factories serving local markets

as long as this also supports people who must remain full time
professionals doing one thing full time, because it's so highly
complex that it's unsafe or plain dumb to do otherwise, I have no
major problems with that.

The easiest example (but there are surely others) of full time
professionals to not touch is doctors. Would you trust somebody who
grabs a surgical blade only once every six weeks because he or she has
to self produce his own bricks, food, clothes... to slice your belly
or fill a cavity?

I have no problems either, in principle, with your other two points.

> I think most here don't envision getting rid of it entirely--just a
> radical downscaling of centralization and mass production, and a shift
> in emphasis to decentralized production as the dominant form.

OK :-)

Thanks for posting plain text.

       Marco
software is used *around* you:            http://digifreedom.net/node/84