[p2p-research] Zeitgeist Addendum

Michel Bauwens michelsub2004 at gmail.com
Wed Oct 8 11:34:21 CEST 2008

Hi Nathan,

I would rather see the basic income as an end of the road, as I don't see
how to politically achieve it in the short term, but, working on locan and
alternative currency systems is doable right away, though without serious
crisis (which may be at hand in the coming years), it will only affect a
dedicated minority at first,

Michel

On Wed, Oct 8, 2008 at 7:42 AM, Nathan Cravens <knuggy at gmail.com> wrote:

> What a small world it is. I recently became introduced to the work of
> Jiddu Krishnamurti just days ago after recently reading 'In My Own Way',
> an autobiography by Alan Watts. It would be nice to turn whatever dry
> writing I come across and convert it into Watts prose.
>
> The film seems to suggest the monetary system be abandoned altogether. I
> don't see how the Venus Project has the resources to carry such a burden
> unless more people understand the ground will soon be too fragile to support
> life and jump into an Apollo Project to create abundant everything.
>
> I would suggest a Basic Income as an intermediate step, one that can pay
> the bills without necessarily going into the workforce. That would make
> available time for those to willing participate and create an abundant world
> and formulate a way to measure resources in a material based economy.
>
> Nathan
>

> On Mon, Oct 6, 2008 at 11:49 AM, Josef Davies-Coates <
> josef at uniteddiversity.com> wrote:
>
>> Interesting.
>>
>> I may just watch it now. The first one was really good (in that it
>> asked lots of questions) but crap (in framing things in the usual
>> "they" are in control be fearful" kind of way) at the same time I
>> thought.
>>
>> This second way does sound a lot more interesting.
>>
>> Cheers,
>>
>> Josef.
>>

>> 2008/10/6 Kevin Flanagan <kev.flanagan at gmail.com>:
>> > Hey All,
>> > I just watched Zeitgeist Addendum.
>> > http://www.zeitgeistmovie.com/
>> > I was pleasantly surprised with the departure from the doom and gloom of
>> > Zeitgeist part 1 with the more constructive approach of presenting an
>> > alternative to the current economic system.
>> > http://www.thevenusproject.com/
>> > Its worth watching.
>> > It covers a lot of issues that would be familiar to people on this list,
>> > including a discussion on artificial scarcity, and the holding back of
>> > socially transformative technologies by corporate control of
>> intellectual
>> > property.
>> > Anyone here know anything about the Venus project?
>> > Regards
>> > Kevin Flanagan
>> >
>> > ps- Here are some of the movies
>> > - Proposals for Social Transformation -
>> > 1 - Expose the Fed - Stop supporting the major banks that perpetuate the
>> > central banking system system. Citibank, JP Morgan Chase, Bank of
>> > America. If you have money with these banks close your account and move
>> it
>> > somewhere else. If you own stock sell it. If you work for them quit.
>> > 2 - Boycott Corporate Mass Media, support independent media online and
>> > protect the Internet which supports so much free speech.
>> > 3 - Boycott the Military - Dont let yourself or anyone you know join the
>> > military, it does not serve the people.
>> > 4 - Boycott the Energy Companies - Investigate the means by which you
> [...]

The P2P Foundation researches, documents and promotes peer to peer
alternatives.

Basic essay at http://www.ctheory.net/articles.aspx?id=499; interview at
http://poynder.blogspot.com/2006/09/p2p-very-core-of-world-to-come.html
BEST VIDEO ON P2P: