[p2p-research] thinking about leapfrogging

Josef Davies-Coates josef at uniteddiversity.com
Fri Oct 3 03:27:54 CEST 2008

2008/10/2 Kevin Carson <free.market.anticapitalist at gmail.com>

> On 10/2/08, Vinay Gupta <hexayurt at gmail.com> wrote:
> > http://smallisprofitable.org
> >
> >  I was part of the editorial team for this (polishes fingernails.)
>
> Cool!  I'm a big fan of Lovins and the rest of the RMI team's work.

"Building Blocks", Chapter 5 of Natural Capitalism by Lovins et al, was one
of the first books that got me thinking and excited ecovillages. It told the
story of Village Homes in Davis California:

http://www.villagehomesdavis.org/

(as well as ING Baring doing some sensible stuff in Holland)

I also learnt recently that Kim Stanley Robinson (author of the classic
Red/Green/Blue Mars trilogy which totally inspired loads of my friends)
lives at Village Homes :)

I've heard his latest trilogy is all about permaculture essentially.

>  Proves beyond a reasonable doubt that if you were providing first-world
> > quality electrical services today, from a standing start (no grid etc.
> > already) you would provide better services at lower cost using a
> > decentralized energy generation strategy involving a lot (but not 100%
> yet!)
> > renewables.
> >
> >  The Economist's Book of the Year 2003.
> >
> >  So, yeah, this is no joke. It can be done for things like electricity,
> and
> > if it's true there, it's not unreasonable to think there's a lot of other
> > plces where this may be true.
> >
> >  There's a book, "The Second Industrial Divide" which Marcin and Smari
> say
> > makes about the same case for light manufacturing, and that was written
> in
> > the 1980s.
>
> Is it by Piore and Sable?  I'll have to get a copy, and soon.

I believe that is the one. Hope so, because I just ordered it :)

Josef.

--
Josef Davies-Coates
07974 88 88 95