[p2p-research] thinking about leapfrogging

Michel Bauwens michelsub2004 at gmail.com
Wed Oct 1 13:46:38 CEST 2008

Dear friends,

It appears that leapfrogging, a direct leap to a new technological level,
hardly ever works, even the cell phone is not a good example, according the
articles below. The bottom line is that new tech requires a lot of prior
level infrastructure, as well as cultural underpinnings ...

While this may be based on research, I also find it hard to accept as
'definitive truth', so I would reframe the question: under what conditions
could leapfrogging work?

I was wondering if I could motivate some of you here, and in particular the
people in cc, to some commentary on that crucial topic, for publication in
our blog,

- http://www.economist.com/displaystory.cfm?story_id=10650775&fsrc=RSS

- http://www.economist.com/displaystory.cfm?story_id=10650775&fsrc=RSS

- http://www.kk.org/thetechnium/archives/2006/03/the_myth_of_lea.php

--
The P2P Foundation researches, documents and promotes peer to peer
alternatives.

Basic essay at http://www.ctheory.net/articles.aspx?id=499; interview at
http://poynder.blogspot.com/2006/09/p2p-very-core-of-world-to-come.html
BEST VIDEO ON P2P: