[p2p-research] My letter to Obama

Michel Bauwens michelsub2004 at gmail.com
Fri Nov 14 10:08:32 CET 2008

ok marco, thanks for that,

but I have no time and ability to explore the italian material, nor for
doing independent journalism at this stage

let's keep it on file, and if you ever encounter anything in english on the
matter, please do let me/us know,

Michel

On Fri, Nov 14, 2008 at 3:32 PM, M. Fioretti <mfioretti at nexaima.net> wrote:

> On Fri, Nov 14, 2008 12:05:26 PM +0700, Michel Bauwens wrote:
> > Hi Marco,
> >
> > since this has come up a number of times, perhaps it would be
> > interesting to point out some kind of overview of the critiques
> > leveled against certain aspects of the E-R model?
>
> The problem is that most of this stuff is in Italian only. Anyway:
>
> http://www.libero-news.it/articles/view/193352
>
> http://filcamstn.blogspot.com/2007/11/laltra-faccia-delle-coop.html
>
> "enough of fiscal privileges to the coops",
> http://www.carlogiovanardi.it/modules.php?name=Downloads&d_op=getit&lid=81
>
> the book "Red coops: the greatest conflict of interests in Italy since
> WWII" (original title "Le coop rosse. Il più grande conflitto di
> interessi nell'Italia del dopoguerra.");  a comment to the book is at
> http://www.ciao.it/Le_Coop_Rosse_R_Ridolfi__Opinione_877366
>
> the book "Falce e Carrello" (www.falcecarrello.com): the title is a
> joke based on the almost identical sound in Italian of:
>
>     "falce e martello" (sickle and hammer, the symbol)
>     "falce e carrello" (sickle and hyper-department-store-cart)
>
> to mean that yesterday's communists have thrown the tools of
> traditional workers away to become capitalists, while keeping the
> external appearance of being faithful to old ideals
>
> comments to this other book at
>

> http://www.ilpasquino.it/index.html?_id1=36&_id3=A6&_id4=26&_id5=306&_sid=b5b78a341d8c514e085bb1aaed6c6046
>
> http://www.ibs.it/code/9788831793728/caprotti-bernardo/falce-carrello-mani
>

> http://rassegnastampa.totustuus.it/modules.php?name=News&file=article&sid=2953
>
> http://www.ilgiornale.it/a.pic1?ID=271941
>

> http://www.confronto.it/index.php?Itemid=27&id=1251&option=com_content&task=view
>
> http://www.loccidentale.it/node/7038
>
> Mandatory Disclaimers:
>
> 1) I have not read the two books above, but all the excerpts and
>   reviews, forums etc... that I have seen and quote them are
>   consistant with other reports I've read or heard on TV in several
>   occasions.
>
> 2) almost all the links above are not from independent, neutral
>   voices. "Libero" and "il Giornale", for example, are very
>   right-wing/neoliberal newspapers (the second, IIRC, belongs to
>   Berlusconi). The author "Falce e Carrello", for example, is the
>   owner of Esselunga, one of the bigger department store chains here
>   in Italy, that is a direct competitor of LegaCoop.
>
> let's just say that even if all the links above only told half of the
> story, if half of what they say were true it would be enough to be
> careful when talking about coops and E-R
>
> 3) things change greatly with the size of the coop. LegaCoop and
>   similar are ordinary corporations, just as ruthless and tied to
>   banks and big political parties as Fiat, just to stay in Italy.
>   Marco Travaglio, a journalist who is everything but pro-Berlusconi,
>   defined the Unipol-LegaCoop ties a dramatic conflict of
>   interests. Coops with ~10 members are a whole different story, but
> [...]

The P2P Foundation researches, documents and promotes peer to peer
alternatives.

Basic essay at http://www.ctheory.net/articles.aspx?id=499; interview at
http://poynder.blogspot.com/2006/09/p2p-very-core-of-world-to-come.html
BEST VIDEO ON P2P: