[p2p-research] Mini nuclear plants to power 20,000 homes

M. Fioretti mfioretti at nexaima.net
Tue Nov 11 10:46:22 CET 2008

On Tue, Nov 11, 2008 16:22:31 PM +0700, Michel Bauwens wrote:
> here's a comment on the supposed safefy of the reactor from the los alamos
> people themselves:
> (http://www.treehugger.com/files/2008/08/
> hyperion-power-sells-someone-on-portable-nuclear-power.php)

Thanks for the link (please avoid top posting and HTML though).

The comments to that treehugger post seem less skeptic than the first
time. The one main, concrete (not emotional) problem in them is the
fact that uranium too is a finite resource. And yes, of course I'd
never accept one of those boxes until the design and the plan to deal
with waste have been completely published and recognized as safe by
independent experts.

Those boxes could be, after satisfactory answers to the questions
above, a great solution for medium/small industries and
condominium-only neighborhoods. A lot of propaganda about saving the
planet by producing your home power by renewables merrily ignores the
truth that only relatively rich guys with a single home and (at least)
their own yard can actually install enough PV or thermal solar/wind
generators to be independent.

With respect to this:

> The executive director of the Los Alamos Study Group wasn't exactly
> supportive either: "The whole idea is loony and not worthy of much
> attention.

it's also interesting to read the comments to the post about the
reputation of that group. More interesting is the fact that there is
nothing about hyperion at their website, www.lasg.org (not even the
original quote).

Marco

software is used *around* you:            http://digifreedom.net/node/84