[p2p-research] My letter to Obama

M. Fioretti mfioretti at nexaima.net
Tue Nov 11 09:45:39 CET 2008

On Tue, Nov 11, 2008 10:29:47 AM +0700, Michel Bauwens wrote:
> thanks Marco,
>
> you are probably right, I'm not an expert on the content of these
> laws, but was assuming that they are based on long copyrights,

I'm not an expert either. However, my point is simply that if you
_start_ from reducing the time window where bad things can happen, it
then becomes much easier to stop them altogether. In a private reply
Kevin told me:

> [A reduction] would be a step in the right direction.  But in
> addition to a quantitative reduction in the length of term, there
> would have to be qualitative changes as well

And this is what I answered:

> If you check my messages you'll see I have indeed "covered" this,
> even if not explicitly. Of course there have to be qualitative
> changes, like in fair use definition. I'm just saying that if you
> focus on reducing duration, you:
>
>- greatly reduce the time window during the lack of those other
>  changes creates problems
>- hugely reduce the money the corporation can make and use to
>  perpetuate their abuses and give them legal blessings
<- create a movement that is much easier for the masses to understand
>  and join

Marco

software is used *around* you:            http://digifreedom.net/node/84