[p2p-research] Mini nuclear plants to power 20,000 homes

M. Fioretti mfioretti at nexaima.net
Tue Nov 11 09:32:23 CET 2008

Interesting read after the discussion, a few weeks ago about
leapfrogging in general and distributed, close-to-users, power
generation. This is the quote straights as I got it on another list:

>  Well, the future is not necessarily as green as we wish it was:
>
> http://www.guardian.co.uk/environment/2008/nov/09/miniature-nuclear-reactors-los-alamos

>From the article:

"Our goal is to generate electricity for 10 cents a watt anywhere in
the world [said the CEO]... It's leapfrog technology"

"Other companies are known to be designing micro-reactors... measuring
roughly six metres by two metres. Designed to power a single building
for up to 40 years."

More technical details at
http://www.hyperionpowergeneration.com/ including:

" If opened, the very small amount of fuel that is enclosed would
immediately cool. The waste produced after five years of operation is
approximately the size of a softball and is a good candidate for fuel
recycling."

Marco

software is used *around* you:            http://digifreedom.net/node/84