[p2p-research] My letter to Obama

Michel Bauwens michelsub2004 at gmail.com
Mon Nov 10 14:32:51 CET 2008

Marco,

what you propose would involve the repeal of the legislation that Kevin
mentions, so I don't think you're saying anything different. I don't think
Kevin proposes a radical abolition, just a scaling back,

Michel

> > Scaling back IP law (a good start would be repealing the DMCA, the
> > WIPO Copyright Treaty, and the Uruguay Round's TRIPS accord) would
> > eliminate the barriers to the diffusion of skill and technology that
> > currently prop up the old corporate dinosaurs of the software and
> > entertainment industries, and facilitate their replacement by
> > networked production on an open source model.
>
> in the entertainment case, wouldn't a reduction of copyright to 5/10
> years max from publication achieve practically the same effect, while
> being much easier to lobby for and, for the general public, to
> understand and support?
>
> Marco
> --
> Your own civil rights and the quality of your life heavily depend on how
> software is used *around* you:            http://digifreedom.net/node/84

The P2P Foundation researches, documents and promotes peer to peer
alternatives.

Basic essay at http://www.ctheory.net/articles.aspx?id=499; interview at
http://poynder.blogspot.com/2006/09/p2p-very-core-of-world-to-come.html
BEST VIDEO ON P2P: