[p2p-research] Fwd: Adam Arvidsson invited you to the event "Ethical Economy Book Launch"...

Michel Bauwens michelsub2004 at gmail.com
Mon Nov 3 23:55:30 CET 2008

I hope we can support Adam's very important book by participation in its
elaboration, as he invitges us to do:

We have one month to discuss the first chapter.

We're proud to announce a new website for the Ethical Economy book project.
At www.ethicaleconomy.com, you can download a final version of the first
chapter that introduces and summarizes the argument (the second chapter, The
Ethical Economy is Already Here, on how capitalism is no longer 'capitalist'
but something else, will be available int he end of November). There is also
a wiki where you can contribute and comment and a blog.

Abstract:

This book suggests that we are facing an epochal economic and social shift,
perhaps of an importance unsurpassed since the bourgeois revolution that
gave birth to the capitalist economy that we have today. The next economy
will be an ethical economy where value is no longer based on labour as in
the capitalist economy (nor on land as in the feudal economy that preceded
it), but on the ability to construct ethically significant social relations.
This is no utopia: the ethical economy is already here, in brand management,
in advanced forms of knowledge work, on financial markets, and in the
expanding range of autonomous forms of social production- ranging from P2P
software, via fan communities to alternative forms of agriculture and food
distribution- that have evolved around new information and communication
technologies. And its impact is set to grow with the further diffusion and
evolution of those technologies. This book offers a first coherent theory of
the ethical economy, examining its origins, its present dynamics and its
future potential. It draws out the implications of this epochal shift for
business, politics and society.