[p2p-research] higher transportation costs can reverse globalization

Samuel Rose samuel.rose at gmail.com
Fri May 30 22:15:01 CEST 2008

Patrick,

Your arguments are logically sound (IMHO).

But, as I've ranted previously, we live in a world where many people will
not make the choices that would be necessary to see the human ecology you
describe work.

The only way to make what you describe really, really work for me right now
is to chuck it all, and move myself somewhere  where I can make all of the
rules, and where practically everyone else involved agrees to follow the
system you describe.

While it may be possible, it is not a choice that I plan on making.

So, that leaves us with the reality that many people are not willing to
share in the way you describe. Many people are not willing to sell at cost.
Many people are capitalists, and they are not ready to change from being
capitalists, and we all need to deal directly with them.

One more reply follows....

On Fri, May 30, 2008 at 3:22 PM, Patrick Anderson <agnucius at gmail.com>
wrote:

> > On Fri, May 30, 2008 at 2:27 PM, Patrick Anderson wrote:
>
> >> What causes efficiency to be a 'problem'?
>
> > If you are greedy, and want to control everything, then it's not good to
> > have a gaggle of local people, that everyone locally knows and loves, and
> > that cater to local needs and offer a superior product, and who can
> > out-compete you.
>
> By "out-compete" do you mean "offer the same quality at a lower price"?
>
> If so, then would you say "offering the same quality at *cost*" would
> be the ultimate in efficiency?
>
> If so, then "at cost" is a problem for current Capitalist owners
> because it eliminates profit, but is it bad for the workers of for the
> consumers?
>
> >> Will efficiency also be a 'problem' for local food systems?
> >
> > Yes.
>
> How very sad.  Must we perpetuate poverty to insure profit?
>
> If you and some other people collectively purchased a small farm for
> the sole purpose of your own benefit, would the efficiency of others
> be a problem for you?  Why or why not?

Sam writes:

When I said it would be a problem, I meant that the efficiency of local
systems would once again be a problem for existing traditional corporate and
government infrastructure. I didn't mean that pure profit driven motives
need to also be the primary focus of self-governing local food systems. In
fact, I am saying that they cannot. I am saying that local food systems need
to position themselves to have higher priorities than financial gain and
control.

****I am not saying, however, that local food systems absolutely must adhere
to some ideal that flatly distributes all ownership of everything, and only
sells at cost, period.  Why? Because no one will do it!!!!****  Most of the
people I am connected with do not and will not have the luxury to become
completely self sufficient in the way you suggest any time soon. They are
still too dependent on existing systems and infrastructure. So, my change
strategies are designed to work with existing interfaces and infrastrucures,
because I want to see the changes actually happen. Also, because, I honestly
believe that for Human Species survival, we need to start change processes
within existing systems, and that we can't do a ghost dance and 'roll up the
world'. (
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ghost_Dance#Jack_Wilson.E2.80.99s_vision)
Because, the only way it works is if virtually everyone in the world does
the 'dance'.

--
Sam Rose
Social Synergy