[p2p-research] Future of making request

Michel Bauwens michelsub2004 at gmail.com
Sat May 17 09:44:48 CEST 2008

I agree with the overall assessment of Sam/Marco, though not everybody needs
to become an active producer to make changes happen.

I haven't study the map yet, but it seems to me that at least one of the
trends, the desire of user/consumers to change/intervene in the objects that
they need and consume, is already happening on a rather important scale,
even though it is still emergent. See springwise.com to see how seriously
businesses are already adapting to these trends. As a reminder see the items
on Co-Design, Co-Creation, Crowdsourcing in our encyclopedia, they have a
number of examples.

All these examples are on the treshold of consumption/usage/production. The
treshold of active consumption is much lower than intervening in production,
yet as the border between both is lessening, the latter will tend to happen,
and active minorities, the ones interviewed brought together for the map,
are already showing possible futures,

Michel

On Sat, May 17, 2008 at 1:23 PM, M. Fioretti <mfioretti at nexaima.net> wrote:

> Just a couple of quick comments right now, I hope to contribute more
> later on.
>
> To begin with, the first thing I have thought when I looked at the
> visual map is "of all the people I know in *person* (about 1500, I'd
> guess, including occasional meetings, and not a few have technical
> degrees or PHDs) maybe 50 have already heard about more than one of those
> websites or concept. I'm not drawing any conclusion from this yet,
> just thought I'd share this feeling.
>
> Secondly, I completely agree with what Patrick wrote and quoted (see
> below) and think that the way to go is to not understimate what Samuel
> wrote (quoted at the bottom). As I just said, I haven't physically met
> yet almost nobody who is or _would_ ever be interested in actively
> doing any of the things on that map (I'm not criticizing that view of
> the world, just reporting a fact).
>
> But I do know, or see on _mainstream_ TV, more and more people who
> already are or want to become "*organized* "consumers", who base their
> decisions on ethics", especially in sectors like food and clothes,
> without falling in the trap/false solution which is most of the
> current fair trade.
>
> I suggest that a society where everybody is an active produser is very
> far in the future and may also be an unrealistic expectation and/or a
> suboptimal solution, as far as real quality of life is concerned.
>
> Whereas a society where everybody who _wants_ to be a producer can do
> it but all citizens are active, responsible purchasers, that is: buy
> only what they really need and buy it only from those who do it right
> and, as Sam says, "collectively bargain, and put CONDITIONS on what is
> purchased based on their own ethics"... well, such a society is much,
> much easier to make happen and it would reform production in the right
> way anyway, wouldn't it?
>
> Marco
>
> On Fri, May 16, 2008 12:14:04 PM -0600, Patrick Anderson wrote:
>
> > Are produsers really ready to manage their own production?  I want
> > to think so, but have recently seen some researchers saying the
> > opposite.
> >
> > David Braden says "The most efficient decision making structure to
> > have evolved to date is the one employed by business corporations. I
> > think we need to design in that same efficiency if we are going to
> > build local organizations with the power to balance global
> > organizations."
>
> > And Sepp tells us "I just have little faith in our average consumer
> > to run a business that they have no clue about (or to make the right
> > decisions that will allow a manager to successfully run it)."
>
> Samuel Rose wrote:
>
> > I think a step that people are ready for right now is to become
> > *organized* "consumers", who base their decisions on ethics. To
> > collectively bargain, and put conditions on what is purchased based
> > on their own ethics (safe for the environment? socially equitable?
> [...]

The P2P Foundation researches, documents and promotes peer to peer
alternatives.

Basic essay at http://www.ctheory.net/articles.aspx?id=499; interview at
http://poynder.blogspot.com/2006/09/p2p-very-core-of-world-to-come.html
BEST VIDEO ON P2P: