[p2p-research] Of possible interest?

Samuel Rose samuel.rose at gmail.com
Wed May 14 23:41:36 CEST 2008

I always thought that references were mostly for areas where you are making
claims, like:

"More people are recycling now than in the past" (reference)

Or, when you invoke jargon, or field-specific concepts, so that the reader
might obtain some background. Like if I refer to "agent based modeling",
what the heck do I mean by that? How about "value metrics"? "futures
studies"? etc Giving people references gives them a place where they can
trace the origin of the concept back to (or at least where you got it from).

Also, references can come into play when you are trying to argue or debate
your key points. People can understand the context that you are using a
concept in. Like, if I refer to "the commons" and give a reference to Elinor
Ostrum, then people can know that my conceptualization is different than,
for instance, communist political ideology contexts where a "commons" is
referred to. That in the case of Elinor Ostrum, "the commons" is seen as a
specific, identifiable socio-economic concept. (reference:
http://joi.ito.com/archives/2004/09/21/commonsbased_peer_production_is_not_communism.html
)

Stuff like that...

On Wed, May 14, 2008 at 5:09 PM, Henrik Ingo <henrik.ingo at avoinelama.fi>
wrote:

> On Wed, May 14, 2008 at 7:31 PM, Michel Bauwens <michelsub2004 at gmail.com>
> wrote:
> >
> > the explanation may be that Tony is not an academic and is only adding
> > significant references to show the aspect he is trying to highlight,
>
> :-)
> When writing, I too totally enjoy the aspect of not being in the
> academia. I never was motivated to add a lot of references just to
> prove the reader that I've read some important books but that were not
> relevant to the issue I'm writing. I understand when writing an essay
> in high school, you do it mostly for the teacher, but after that imho
> it should be because you have something to say, not merely to report
> that you've read something from some authority.
>
> henrik
> --
> email: henrik.ingo at avoinelama.fi
> tel: +358-40-5697354