[p2p-research] Of possible interest?

Paul B. Hartzog paulbhartzog at gmail.com
Wed May 14 17:55:46 CEST 2008

Bearing in mind that I am embedded in my own biases and academic
circles, but a cursory look suggests that this paper lacks a number of
what I consider vital references.

The paper mentions a variety of topics: robust networks, network
warfare, epistemic communities, and global governance.  Oddly, in each
category it fails to cite major works by definitive authors.

For example, in robust networks there is little or no mention of
Strogatz, or Newman, or Watts, or Barabási.  A typical citation could
have been:

Network Robustness and Fragility: Percolation on Random Graphs
Duncan S. Callaway, M. E. J. Newman, Steven H. Strogatz, and Duncan J. Watts

In "net-centric warfare" they do not cite anything from the large
corpus of authoritative works by Ronfeldt and Arquilla (all available
for free from RAND).

The only citation for Barabási is his popular-press book "Linked."

In epistemic communities only P. Haas. "Introduction: Epistemic
Communities" not other in-depth sources.

The only citation for Newman is: M. E. J. Newman. Detecting Community
Structure in Networks

While they do cite Casti, it is obscure.  Also they do cite S. N.
Dorogovtsev and J. F. F. Mendes. "Evolution of networks" which,
although good, is I believe more like a textbook than a good source.

Hope this helps.  It is a very interesting paper after all. :-)

-p

http://www.PaulBHartzog.org
http://www.panarchy.com
PaulBHartzog at PaulBHartzog.org
PaulBHartzog at panarchy.com
PHartzog at umich.edu
The Universe is made up of stories, not atoms.
 --Muriel Rukeyser

See differently, then you will act differently.
 --Paul B. Hartzog