[p2p-research] Richard Stallman in Manchester

Phoebe Moore P.Moore at salford.ac.uk
Thu May 1 16:24:00 CEST 2008

Free of charge evening talk organised in association with the

Manchester branches of the BCS and IET.

'Free Software in Ethics and Practice' - speaker: Richard Stallman

Thursday 1st May, 2008 - Talk starts at 6:45pm (ends approx. 8:30pm)
with refreshments from 6:15pm.

Venue:  Room D1, Renold Building,

University of Manchester, Sackville Street, Manchester M1 3BB

There is no need to book a place - just turn up on the night.

Abstract:

> Richard Stallman will speak about the Free Software Movement, which

> campaigns for freedom so that computer users can cooperate to control

> their own computing activities.  The Free Software Movement developed

> the GNU operating system, often erroneously referred to as Linux,

> specifically to establish these freedoms.

> About the speaker:

> Richard Stallman launched the development of the GNU operating system

> (see www.gnu.org) in 1984.  GNU is free software: everyone has the

> freedom to copy it and redistribute it, as well as to make changes

> either large or small.  The GNU/Linux system, basically the GNU

> operating system with Linux added, is used on tens of millions of

> computers today.  Stallman has received the ACM Grace Hopper Award, a

> MacArthur Foundation fellowship, the Electronic Frontier Foundation's

> Pioneer award, and the the Takeda Award for Social/Economic

> Betterment, as well as several honorary doctorates.

Dr Phoebe Moore

Lecturer in International Relations

UG Pgm Leader, Politics & International Relations

Politics and Contemporary History , ESPaCH

http://www.espach.salford.ac.uk/politics/irp.php
<http://www.espach.salford.ac.uk/politics/irp.php>

European Studies Research Institute (ESRI)http://www.esri.salford.ac.uk
<http://www.esri.salford.ac.uk/>

University of Salford

Crescent House, Salford

Manchester, M54WT

T: 0161 295 6033

F: 0161 295 5077

<http://www.espach.salford.ac.uk/politics/irp.php>

Profile: http://www.espach.salford.ac.uk/politics/staff/moore.php
<http://www.espach.salford.ac.uk/politics/staff/moore.php>

Recent book:
<http://www.amazon.com/Globalisation-Labour-Struggle-Asia-Neo-Gramscian/
dp/1845113780/ref=si3_rdr_bb_product/104-8703029-9815921>

Capital and Class editorial board: http://www.cseweb.org.uk/
<http://www.cseweb.org.uk/>  <http://www.cseweb.org.uk/>