[p2p-research] Capital Club

Stan Rhodes stanleyrhodes at gmail.com
Mon Mar 10 05:34:23 CET 2008

Vinay,

I'm not sure which behaviors you're referring to.  If you mean establishing
vested commons, then I'd say that it doesn't just correlate, it directly
increases freedom.  If you mean something else, which I think you may, I'm
afraid I don't know what it is.

I have two main problems with the concept of the hypercar presented by
Lovins: the claims he makes, and the root problems that he doesn't offer
real solutions to (consumerism, space taken, and injury: he tries to hit on
them in the end).  Granted, it's all speculation anyway, but that
speculation hasn't panned out in the 9 years since it was published.  RMI's
page on the hypercar hasn't changed at all, and they've changed the focus of
Hypercar, Inc (now Fiberforge) to composite materials.  That's probably a
really good thing, because they might be able to make some solid inroads
there.  However, this lack of progress speaks volumes to how hard making new
vehicles is.

I'm not sure how I would misunderstand what the stuff was about, since
Lovins is pretty explicit in what he's talking about (aerodynamic, strong,
safe, cheap), just not how it's feasible (safe because it's light... huh?).
Also I think Lovins' solution doesn't address the real problems anyway, so
me providing a better solution in what I see as their non-solution context
would be moot.  As for my "real" solutions to the big problems, they're
already out there, I've just integrated into a particular vision of them,
and that's what I'm working on making presentable.  In my opinion, the
hexayurt project, OSE, and other purpose-based, results-visible, consumer-up
projects are already undermining the industrial-consumption mindset that the
book tiptoes around without truly addressing.  In other words, I think your
work shows you're more clued into the "big solution" than the authors of the
book.

I'm sorry I cannot follow through much more about it right now, but I
suppose it doesn't need to go to the entire group either.  You asked what we
thought, and I told you what I thought. ;)  For both disclosure and what
it's worth (maybe not much), I currently work for a large vehicle
manufacturer.

-- Stan