[p2p-research] Capital Club

Samuel Rose samuel.rose at gmail.com
Sun Mar 9 00:47:15 CET 2008

Replies below:

On Sat, Mar 8, 2008 at 5:25 PM, Kevin Carson <
free.market.anticapitalist at gmail.com> wrote:

> On 3/6/08, Samuel Rose <samuel.rose at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > So, solutions that we seek have to be able to work with multiple
> > world-views, not just one. This means we have to actually tolerate and
> work
> > with people who are focused on 'profit'.
> >
> > How can we do this?
> >
> > *By making conditions in which it is more profitable for them to also
> focus
> > on social equity, and evironment.*
> >
> > We do this by obsoleting the existing models, and  making ours work
> better,
> > and thus more appealing to everyone, regardless of what their goals are.
> We
> > want to incorporate what is appealing to all recognizeable world views.
> >
> > Here is the secret, you will *not* have to change anything about
> User-Owner,
> > at least not right away. All you really have to do is "tune your
> transmitter
> > to their receiveer", and explain in terms that they can understand why
> > people who are focused on 'profit' should adopt your model, and how it
> will
> > increase their 'profit'. If it won't, then it can. Some people are also
> > focused on "control" while simultaneously focused on "profit", and there
> may
> > be nothing that you can do to win them over. All you can do for those
> people
> > is obsolete their existing models. Make your model outperform theirs for
> all
> > of the people involved in the "Value Chain".
>
> Unfortunately, this is made more difficult by the structural
> characteristics of the system, which make the existing model of
> corporate cenralization artificially profitable and competitive
> against the alternative.  So long as these structural features remain
> in place, alternatives that are far more efficient in reality (when
> all the hidden costs are assigned to those who incur them, instead of
> being exteralized on others) will labor against a handicap, and we
> will be swimming upstream.  So the building of counter-institutions
> should be coupled with a movement to roll back privilege and dismantle
> the structural foundations of corporate capitalism.  That means,
> especially, radically scaling back "intellectual property" until it is
> eliminated entirely, and eliminating all restrictions on free
> competition in the supply of capital and land.

Agreed Kevin. It would be awesome to see more activism on the
legislative/legal side of this. I will always support people who are in
movements to change government focus, legal policy, etc. I agree it is
needed to leverage counter-institution creation, to see fundamental change.

Most of the counter-institutions are already coming extremely close to
colliding with policy, especially in the US. So, even counter or alternative
instution creators such as myself will find ourselves in social policy
activist roles as we make progress.

I think that creating counter-insutitions for civic action will help here.
Helping people find better ways to organize, better info about their
locations. Community created public plased-based databases, local collective
action groups that can lobby both governments and corporations effectively.
The building blocks to do this exist, but it's a power which must be grown
and wielded carefully, with major effort to give literacy to those everyone
who employs it's workings. Things can fall apart quickly, as we've seen
historically with some examples from Indymedia, and other grassroots
political movements.

Many of them focused on one value system over others, and that is often to
their detriment, and sometimes their undoing.

--
Sam Rose
Social Synergy
email: samuel.rose at gmail.com