[p2p-research] Capital Club

Michel Bauwens michelsub2004 at gmail.com
Fri Mar 7 00:07:22 CET 2008

Hi Vinay,

a small remark on my side.

If we define capitalism as a regime for the endless and infinite
accumulation of capital, can just an infinite growth system exist within a
finite natural system. My answer would tend to be negative.

So, I would distinguish the market from capitalism, the market simply being
a technique to deal with scarce goods, which is not necessarily coupled to a
infinite growth engine.

I think that natural capitalism, as an attempt to marry the recognition of
natural constraints and externalities with a market or capitalist system is
a good thing, an improvement, and I think it will be attempted, but I am not
convinced that it will succeed.

So my position is that the core logic of the system needs to change, with
the market being a subsystem of the new meta p2p logic.

But such a fundamental re-orientation won't succeed and be tried before
attempts to change the system from within, so natural capitalism is the next
big thing,

Michel

--
The P2P Foundation researches, documents and promotes peer to peer
alternatives.

Basic essay at http://www.ctheory.net/articles.aspx?id=499; interview at
http://poynder.blogspot.com/2006/09/p2p-very-core-of-world-to-come.html
BEST VIDEO ON P2P: