[p2p-research] Capital Club

Samuel Rose samuel.rose at gmail.com
Fri Mar 7 00:03:54 CET 2008

PS.

This is why I think Lovins's work, Natural Capitalism, is valuable.

Because it works towards creating a choice that people operating from many
different world views could be likely to take.

We are all stuck in a system that is focused on 'profit', and we will beyond
the shadow of a doubt be stuck with people who are focused on 'profit' at
least for the rest of all of our lives.

So, what can we do to make appropriate technologies very profitable, while
still being copylefted and open-sourced? We cannot compete within the same
market systems, because those market systems work around lowest-cost-only.
People are focused by marketing into concentrating on lowest cost. But for
hexayurt, we could help you compete, not because you have the lowest price,
but because you have connection to the communities of people who use your
product. Or, you find and connect with those people. You can then add huge
amounts of value simply by listening to those people, and what they want,
and figuring out ways to give it to them, maybe in collaboration with us
(open source ecology)? What could people do with hexayurt, and you, and us,
that could actually help them build wealth? Instead of getting lowest cost
from people who copied your design in China, and built it with peopel making
slave wages, maybe you offer:

   - a slightly higher cost, but considerably more equitable production
   - ability work closely with other related solution providers to bring
   not just shelter, but other needed disaster relief
   - support for sustainable food production, industry production, energy
   production add ons to hexayurt

I don't really know your market, so these are just stabs in the dark. But,
if I had time to talk to the actual people who would use your solutions, and
everyone in the chain, I could find these opportunties, I think. This is
stuff that Douglas Rushkoff talks about in "Get back in the box" but I think
it applies well to open design technologies

email: samuel.rose at gmail.com