[p2p-research] peer net on the blog

M. Fioretti mfioretti at nexaima.net
Wed Mar 5 00:22:32 CET 2008

On Sun, Mar 02, 2008 19:08:38 PM +0000, Josef Davies-Coates wrote:
> On 29/02/2008, M. Fioretti <mfioretti at nexaima.net> wrote:
>
>     how do you put together a (network of) real long radio bridge(s)
>     without licenses?
>
> http://ronja.twibright.com/ does 1.4km which isn't bad.

I said "long", because that's what Sepp was talking about. 1.4 km is
far from "long".

> Also, it is possible actually get licenses too. Sure, its not free,
> but if it was deemed worthwhile by a p2p infrastructure funding
> project, why not?

If the funding project can hand out millions or billions dollars
and/or convince the incumbents that they should step aside or the FCCs
of the world that a bunch of disconnected amateurs are more reliable
than a tightly controlled group of professionals, sure, why not?

Cfr:

http://www.wimax.com/commentary/blog/simpleblog_view_title_description_body?b_start:int=40
http://www.wimax.com/education/faq/faq52

Radio spectrum is scarce. Much, much scarcer than statistically
multiplexed bandwidth on an existing broadband network. Besides
frequency availability, one 100 KM radio bridge with N:1 protection,
10E-12 or similar BER etc... is *much* more realiable and probably
quite cheaper too, when you factor in all the variables, than 100 1-km
home made bridges.

This is a fact. Isn't it much cheaper, much more efficient, much more
realistic and politically tolerable to set up secure/redundant
channels inside one well planned single network (as long as Net
Neutrality is respected, of course) than aiming for some dreamy
totally alternative network, especially if it isn't really so easy to
actually create it?

Please take this criticism as constructive: what I'm trying to say is
that going p2p looks good, but there are certain areas where it isn't
really doable nor desirable yet, telecom networks being one of them.

This, of course, doesn't mean at all that activities in this field or
things like ronja should be abandoned. They are great didactical
tools, wonderful auxiliary or backup solutions and also have a huge
value in many cases where the existing network won't do the job or
would be much more expensive (connecting the several buildings inside
one campus or farm?): I'm just saying that completely replacing
today's telecom networks with billions of home made pieces and a lot
of good will is:

- quite more difficult than it may seem from certain estimates at all
  levels, from making it as reliable as what we have today but cheaper
  to getting the powers in charge to let it happen

- above all, maybe not really necessary to build a better world.

  	     	       Marco
--
Your own civil rights and the quality of your own life heavily depend on
how software is used *around* you:               http://digifreedom.net/