[p2p-research] the end of theory-driven science?

Samuel Rose samuel.rose at gmail.com
Mon Jun 30 06:53:44 CEST 2008

BOINC is an open source,  usable way to create massive parallel
supercomputers. BOINC is an evolution of the software that was created to
process SETI at home

BOINC is now used by quite a few different projects to use volunteer spare
computing time to  solve different problems, from studying malaria data, to
predicting climate change, to exploring nanotechnology

http://boinc.berkeley.edu/trac/wiki/VolunteerComputing is a good overviewof
concepts. Howard talks about "Computation nations and swarm supercomputers"
in smartmobs, too.

For people like Marcin, Appropedia, Ohio Local Food Systems Collaborative,
or anyone who is tasked with supoorting their own research and development,
volunteer grid computing can be a powerful resource. it can give people the
power to employ search through huge volumes of data in a small amount of
time, for a low cost. A person could write some evaluation programs or data
models, and send data to BOINC clients that users run like screen savers.
see http://boinc.berkeley.edu/trac/wiki/VirtualCampusSupercomputerCenter
The BOINC project provides both clients and servers under an open source
license.

So, let's say that you wanted to run very complex datamining models on sound
data that comes from microphones placed in the outdoors around Europe.
Perhaps you have developed an idea to create a baseline way to measure a
healthy ecosystem based on the sound in the environment. BOINC would let you
split up all of that data into chunks and analyze it for just certain sound
signatures. Crunching all of this data might otherwise be too large for any
average computing system to take on in a reasonable amount of time. Even
more, software liek BOINC makes powerful supercomputing available to many
people. It makes massive search available, as described by Kevin Kelly.

email: samuel.rose at gmail.com