[p2p-research] programming a direct democracy

Henrik Ingo henrik.ingo at avoinelama.fi
Sun Jun 29 20:40:14 CEST 2008

Michel,

This was a nice link, though not perhaps for the reason you describe:

I'm packing for a week-long business trip, so the whole article was
too long for me to read now. However, I was glimpsing through it, and
stopped when it talked about sitting in assembly raising hands.
Clearly this is not what I'm interested in with my system. (Academic
writing style gives me headache too!)

Yes, the technique proposed could be modified to a useful tool for
"my" direct democracy society, perhaps... or not. In general I think
"Deliberative Direct Democracy" ideas are misguided, since the
fundamental assumption that people can or should spend all their lives
debating legislation is false. (And since it is false it means that
those who can spend the most time end up with most influence, which I
consider a flaw.)

But, the first comment leads to a very interesting Swedish party, with
analogous ideas to myself. I should be in touch with them sometime.
This is what I wanted to thank you for :-)

henrik

email: henrik.ingo at avoinelama.fi
tel: +358-40-5697354
www: www.avoinelama.fi/~hingo