[p2p-research] A possible way to leverage ning, del.icio.us, various wikis, etc

Samuel Rose samuel.rose at gmail.com
Sun Jun 29 18:01:01 CEST 2008

Michel,

Working with Marcin (http://openfarmtech.org), and folks like him who are
engaged in applications, research and development, etc., one thing that I
can see is that they have a lot of questions that they need help answering.

This got me to thinking that we, the P2P Foundation, have lots of people
with diverse expertise connected in a network, which is also connected to
other networks beyond our transparent sphere.

So, I am thinking that we as p2p foundation network could take existing
resources that we are already using, like ning network communication
channel, email list(s), blog, wikis, etc etc, and mash them up into a way
for people to ask questions to the network and find answers. Much like
http://communitywiki.org/OrganizedInquiry

Inquiry-based collaboration can really be effective, and it is something
that social media tools accomplish really well.

What I am proposing is that we can use Ning, combined with the blog, as a
conduit for people like Marcin to ask questions (like "what types of water
based machine hydraulic systems exist? What is the current state of
bio-based plastics?" etc, and that we can use an rss aggregation system to
track the way that people are answering them.

We also would do a little bit of work to educate people to ask these
questions within this network, but also pass on relevant questions/requests
to other networks.

The only overhead cost is the willingness of people to share what they know,
and the willingness of people to openly ask what they need to know into the
greater network. A lot of times it is the latter cost that is the biggest
obstacle. People sometimes don't want to ask questions on a wider basis,
because they don't want to come across as seeming somehow ignorant. But,
this is probably one of the easiest "appliction" -type of areas that
p2pfoundation could grow into. Leveraging collective intelligence and
networks. Not that we don't already do this, but basically I am proposing
that we could close a few gaps and grease the wheels a bit, using existing
tools and communication channels.

I'd be willing to put some work into creating a tracking system, if people
are interested in this. First, it would be nice to know if people are
interested in this? The idea would be to pick a place or places where people
ask questions, let them answer those questions in many different places
(like email lists, del.icio.us, wikis with certain tags or categories on
pages, etc) and aggregate that in one place.

--
Sam Rose
Social Synergy
email: samuel.rose at gmail.com