[p2p-research] Fwd: Solar Turbine,

Michel Bauwens michelsub2004 at gmail.com
Mon Jun 16 06:52:50 CEST 2008

Thanks for forwarding this to ecology/renewable energy oriented lists,

From: Marcin Jakubowski <joseph.dolittle at gmail.com>
Date: Jun 16, 2008 8:36 AM
Subject: Solar Turbine,
To: Michel Bauwens <michelsub2004 at gmail.com>, Chris Watkins <
chriswaterguy at appropedia.org>, Lonny <lonny at appropedia.org>
Cc: Samuel Rose <samuel.rose at gmail.com>, Lucas Gonzalez <lgs0a at yahoo.es>,
Franz Nahrada <f.nahrada at reflex.at>, Smári McCarthy <spm2 at hi.is>, Vinay
Gupta <hexayurt at gmail.com>

Michel and others,

Please look at an update on the Solar Turbine and Factor e Farm update.
We're at a critical decision fork where we are trying to figure out a proven
heat engine, running on steam, for our Solar Turbine project. Please spread
the word in your channels. We aim to produce the world's first open source,
replicable, scalable solar electric system. Please read our blog discussion
on the project - and give us feedback if you have any proven ideas that may
work as far as the heat engine that we should use.

http://openfarmtech.org/weblog/?p=246

You should be aware that part of the design for replicability is the use of
water as the working fluid. Furthermore, we are using a linear (scalable)
solar collector. We are calculating 3 kW of electric power generation from a
40x10 foot solar array - or 8% overall efficiency - in the first prototype.
Please forward any knowledgeable people on to this work - and let's all be
part of the peer-to-peer energy revolution. We have a team assembling here
August 15 to do the collectors, collector tube - and if all goes well -
we'll have the heat engine ready as well.

We were excited about the Tesla turbine, but to date, I have been able to
document (verifiable data, peer-reviewed literature, and not predictions or
vaporware) perfomance that indicates that a standard low-performance piston
steam engine is 4 times as efficient as the Tesla turbine. Please look
carefully at our analysis and see if you also come up with the same
conclusion. This is not to say that the Tesla turbine cannot be made more
efficient, but available data shows that this point hasn't been accomplished
to date. Given the 2 month time period before we will be deploying our Solar
Turbine project - we are selecting a proven heat engine. This is
conservative, but we are interested in proof-of-concept at present -
focusing on the low-cost, open source design of the collector system and
steam cycle.

Thanks,
Marcin

--
The P2P Foundation researches, documents and promotes peer to peer
alternatives.

Basic essay at http://www.ctheory.net/articles.aspx?id=499; interview at
http://poynder.blogspot.com/2006/09/p2p-very-core-of-world-to-come.html
BEST VIDEO ON P2P: