[p2p-research] fyi: interview in Rome, on p2p learning (clip 2-12) and the transition to a p2p society (clip 1)

Henrik Ingo henrik.ingo at avoinelama.fi
Sun Jul 20 09:52:53 CEST 2008

Without knowing Kris at all, I'll boldly comment on the 2nd part:

> (2) A second major phenomenon, hitting many attempts to p2p and synergistic,
> integrative functioning, is a kind of non-compliance, non-motivation,
> not-feeling-responsible by the majority of the group. Even in wiki-sites,
> blogs, where interaction has only a minimal treshold, people not often feel
> enough motivation to interact, to react on the proposed texts, to propose
> alternatives, to elaborate integrations, to share experiences. The real work
> renmains to be done by a little group of idealists. This participatory
> discipline is, in my experiemnce, the major reason why so many idealistic,
> synergistic initiatives spontaneously fall back, after a lapse of time, to
> more hierarchical organizations, or fade out.

The non-motivation should mostly not be seen as a problem. The thing
is that in a global / internet-wide p2p setting, the mathematics are
just very different than what we are used to. So there are millions of
Linux users but only about 1000-1500 Linux (kernel) developers. And
this is a very high number. There could be millions of users for
something with only a handful of active contributors.

Facebook is a good example of this too: Many FB users are probably
like me, very passive, mostly just accepting friend requests. But
maybe 2-4 times a month I feel inspired to forward something and maybe
once a month I'll write something in my status box. And that's all
that is needed. In the eyes of my connected FB friends that probably
makes me an active FB user, since a couple of times a month something
from me will pop up on their radar.

To give a final example: I maintain a module in the Drupal CMS system
(the Footnotes module). In a year I probably spend 40-60 hours
programming it. If I didn't do anything for Drupal it probably
wouldn't matter much. Even so, many other Drupal modules are just like
this too. When you have hundreds of persons doing the 40-60 hour
effort, it suddenly becomes significant.

All of this is actually an aspect of the long tail phenomenon. So the
fact that you have millions of passers by that don't contribute is
just as it should be.

And finally, there might be projects that really don't get off the
ground for a lack of contributions. That should be seen as a feature
too. It just means nobody cared. You might think your idea was
important, but it wasn't. Or maybe it is, but you failed to convince
anyone. Often for this reason many successful projects start with one
mans heroic efforts for 1-2 years. Therefore the counter question is,
did you care about your own idea enough to make that initial
investment? (Hmm... I've written about this too: See first half of
chapter http://openlife.cc/node/40)

henrik