[p2p-research] Fwd: good books recommendations

Michel Bauwens michelsub2004 at gmail.com
Tue Jul 15 06:50:12 CEST 2008

From: Samuel Rose <samuel.rose at gmail.com>
Date: Mon, Jul 14, 2008 at 10:26 PM
Subject: Re: trip to India
To: Michel Bauwens <michelsub2004 at gmail.com>
Cc: Stephen <stephenjoyce at shaw.ca>

Hmmm...books:

Here comes everybody is great, also recommed:
http://www.everythingismiscellaneous.com/

The long tail book, by Chris Anderson, will help you think about how to
engage the multitudes of niches that will make up an eldercare interest
community.

Convergence culture is worth a look to think about multi-media approaches
(like voice conference plus text, plus maybe new ideas that emerge from
brainstorming this)

Some people recommend http://www.socialtext.net/wikinomics/index.cgi I
thought it was really just kind of full of buzzwords. But their approach to
creating a community is at least worth looking at, at least in terms of
structuring and the way they have managed to incite a lot of people to get
involved.

This book is guaranteed to be good when it comes out, written by a friend:
http://www.horsepigcow.com/book-the-whuffie-factor/ really worth reading for
helping gie peopel a refreshing experience in online community

More academically terse but recommended:

Understanding knowledge as a commons:
http://mitpress.mit.edu/catalog/item/default.asp?ttype=2&tid=11012  you'll
be creating a knowledge commons, these people can help you make it work.

Understanding the Wealth of networks:
http://www.benkler.org/wealth_of_networks/index.php?title=Main_Page  can
help frame the model that you are creating based on several factors, which
will help you be more confidant and creative with what you are doing.

If nothing else, read this and you'll be miles ahead of others who don't yet
get this: http://collaboration.wikia.com/wiki/Stigmergic_collaboration

Recommendation: Find an Agile developer, someone who follows a process like
this http://pftracker.awebfactory.com.ar/node/11 that includes both you and
potential users. you'll be very glad you did, and it will help you
prioritize your total vision into manageable chunks of actual functionality.

--
Sam Rose
Social Synergy
email: samuel.rose at gmail.com