[p2p-research] programming a direct democracy

Henrik Ingo henrik.ingo at avoinelama.fi
Wed Jul 2 02:46:04 CEST 2008

Greetings from Dublin, middle of the night...

Yes, so in Open Source it is great that whoever can understand the
code and invest time in programming can participate, those two things
function like a good barrier to enter the system. (Since a project is
interested in exactly the kind of programmers: who understand what
they need to do and have time to do it.) But with legislation or other
situations where the question is about power, I see it as almost a
recipe for disaster to say that those who are the loudest ones and can
afford to spend more time arguing than some other people, will
eventually wear out the opposition and have the decisionmaking power
for themselves. The difference with Open Source is that you can always
choose to ignore a long winded discussion and choose to do productive
work instead. I don't see how political decisionmaking could share
that feature.

That being said, it is obviously true that a good voting system with
no system for debate would be a hilarious thing too! (Random
decisionmaking, almost?) So you need to have a system for good debate
or deliberation too, but the power must not reside in the debate. You
must be able to ignore the debate and still retain your share of
power. Thus, you must be able to delegate your power so it is being
used even if you don't invest your own time.

I couldn't resist browsing the www.aktivdemokrati.se site a bit and it
seems they have thought about this part quite a lot. For instance, the
time a vote is open fluctuates depending on its activity. It is
designed to make stupid proposals just go away and good ones to get
approved when there are enough votes. Really interesting and there is
an English FAQ at least.

(Unlike myself, where I have thought more about the voting and
delegation of that, assuming that Internet is good at organizing
communication so I was never worried about that, kinda skipped that
part.)

henrik

email: henrik.ingo at avoinelama.fi
tel: +358-40-5697354