[p2p-research] Progress in P2P Fabrication

Samuel Rose samuel.rose at gmail.com
Sun Jan 20 19:06:01 CET 2008

To update some of you who expressed interest in this subject:

Right now I am working with Marci Jakubowski to create an online/offline
stakeholder development community around 16 key technologies:

HABITAT PACKAGE: CEB Press<http://openfarmtech.org/index.php?title=CEB_Press>-
Sawmill <http://openfarmtech.org/index.php?title=Sawmill> - Living
Machines<http://openfarmtech.org/index.php?title=Living_Machines>-
Modular
Housing Units<http://openfarmtech.org/index.php?title=Modular_Housing_Units>-
Modular
Greenhouse Units<http://openfarmtech.org/index.php?title=Modular_Greenhouse_Units>-
Solar
Turbine CHP System<http://openfarmtech.org/index.php?title=Solar_Turbine_CHP_System>-
AGRICULTURE PACKAGE: Modular
Greenhouse Units<http://openfarmtech.org/index.php?title=Modular_Greenhouse_Units>-
Orchard
and Nursery <http://openfarmtech.org/index.php?title=Orchard_and_Nursery>
- Electric
Garden Tractor<http://openfarmtech.org/index.php?title=Electric_Garden_Tractor>-
Organoponic
Raised Bed Gardening<http://openfarmtech.org/index.php?title=Organoponic_Raised_Bed_Gardening>-
Agricultural
Microcombine<http://openfarmtech.org/index.php?title=Agricultural_Microcombine>-
Bakery <http://openfarmtech.org/index.php?title=Bakery>
-Dairy<http://openfarmtech.org/index.php?title=Dairy>- Energy
Food Bars <http://openfarmtech.org/index.php?title=Energy_Food_Bars> -
Agricultural
Spader <http://openfarmtech.org/index.php?title=Agricultural_Spader> - Well
Drilling Rig <http://openfarmtech.org/index.php?title=Well_Drilling_Rig>
- Freeze
Dried Fruit Powders<http://openfarmtech.org/index.php?title=Freeze_Dried_Fruit_Powders>-
Hammer
Mill <http://openfarmtech.org/index.php?title=Hammer_Mill> - ENERGY PACKAGE:
Solar Turbine CHP
System<http://openfarmtech.org/index.php?title=Solar_Turbine_CHP_System>-
Compressed
Fuel Gas <http://openfarmtech.org/index.php?title=Compressed_Fuel_Gas>
- Inverters
& Grid Intertie<http://openfarmtech.org/index.php?title=Inverters_%26_Grid_Intertie>-
Electric
Motors/Generators<http://openfarmtech.org/index.php?title=Electric_Motors/Generators>-
Fuel
Alcohol <http://openfarmtech.org/index.php?title=Fuel_Alcohol> - FLEXIBLE
INDUSTRY PACKAGE: Multimachine & Flex
Fab<http://openfarmtech.org/index.php?title=Multimachine_%26_Flex_Fab>-
Metal
Casting and Extrusion<http://openfarmtech.org/index.php?title=Metal_Casting_and_Extrusion>-
Plastic
Extrusion & Molding<http://openfarmtech.org/index.php?title=Plastic_Extrusion_%26_Molding>-
TRANSPORTATION: Open
Source Car <http://openfarmtech.org/index.php?title=Open_Source_Car> - Electric
Motors/Generators<http://openfarmtech.org/index.php?title=Electric_Motors/Generators>-
Electric
Motor Controls<http://openfarmtech.org/index.php?title=Electric_Motor_Controls>-
MATERIALS: Aluminum
Extraction From
Clays<http://openfarmtech.org/index.php?title=Aluminum_Extraction_From_Clays>-
Bioplastics <http://openfarmtech.org/index.php?title=Bioplastics>

We are going to start a pilot project with the Compressed Earth Block
technology. This is a first prototype:

http://socialsynergyweb.org/opensourceecology/content/ceb-prototype-1-fab-0

Over the next 6 months, we will seek out existing stakeholders, release
design information, and co-develop and co-fund the design, and an open
research and development center based in Missouri that will be open for
international community to visit, for students to attend and pursue
independent study, and for commercial end users, and contractors to buy both
finished products and machines and technology to make the CEB from.

Some of the technological and economic advantages of flexfab-produced CEB
include:

CEB - Compresssed Earth Block
press<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Compressed_earth_block>- regarded
as the highest quality natural building method; also used in
upscale housing; does not require curing - so may be built continuously;
lends itself to 100% onsite building material sourcing; excellent thermal,
acoustic, and strength; aka structural masonry. Also usable in fences,
cisterns, road paving, Usable for ovens in a bakery, pond dams, thermal
storage cisterns, silos. Used for barns, dairy plant, bakery building,
additional housing, greenhouses, etc. I would go so far as that could be the
secret weapon of the entire operation. Other connections in diagram:
requires soil to be pulverized, which may be done with the agricultural
spader. May be used for building raised beds, modular building and
greenhouse units. High value flex fab enterprise opportunity for any
entrepreneur interested in fabrication of machine- huge profits are
possible, because other CEBs are expensive ($25k for one of 3-5 brick/minute
performance). Livelihood opportunity for independent builders. Requires as
little as 1 person to operate. OSE design is based on power from tractor
hydraulics - where the tractor is a general tool that can supply power to a
large number of devices. Output with 2 people - a 6 foot high round wall, 20
feet in diameter, 1 foot thick, can be built in one 8 hour day. Fabrication
is simple - after metal is cut - a drill press is required for drilling
holes for design-for-disassembly<http://openfarmtech.org/index.php?title=Design-for-disassembly>structure.
Welding is required in a few places where bolting is not
practical, such as the hopper box. Summary: a high performance, rapid,
semi-skilled building technique, which lends itself as a building method for
creating advanced civilizations. Lifetime design.

___

We intend as project/movement/international community to try and compete
*directly* with both outsourced/imported and domestic contracting and
materials suppliers, first with flex fab-produced CEB, and then eventually
with all of the 16 technologies produced above.

If you are interested in this, I'll keep you informed, and we should be able
to open up this community sometime within the next 2 weeks. Eventually, I
will help Marcin move all of the wiki content over to this site, and there
are, and will be some dynamic tools available for group decision making,
group funding, and declaring relationships, etc.

--
Sam Rose
Social Synergy
email: samuel.rose at gmail.com