[p2p-research] Defining terms for clear communication

Michel Bauwens michelsub2004 at gmail.com
Fri Jan 11 05:49:56 CET 2008

Hi Patrick,

I think your aim is totally irrealistic. Terms do never stabilize, they are
ever moving and used from particular perspectives which change over time,
your example of value is right on target for that. I did a lot of reading
last year on that value thing, only to conclude that it is used in a variety
of ways. You can only enforce it in small communities, probably with some
power to back up your definitions. But the P2P Foundation is a pluralist
collective, with only a minimal consensus that peer to peer is generally a
good thing ...

What you can do is choose terms and define terms in the particular context
of your project, with the people who are willing to follow you on that path
... and for me that means that it should be clearly indicated where that
particular definition comes from. Take cost, I'm using it in a very general
way to refer to the debates about coordination costs and transaction costs,
as put forward by Benkler et al and they are widely understood 'in a broad
sense' in social science and economist communities. As I reference the
source, anyone can then verify what the perspective is.

In contrast, you give a definition, which in my view is terse and which I do
not understand, there is no reference, no contextual or perspectival add-on,
and the only way I could understand it, is if I have the willingness to
follow you on a long-term path of user ownership theory ...

the role of the wiki as I see it, is to offer a multi-perspectival vision on
peer to peer related subjects, not one particular view; if a particular view
is offered, it should be contextualized,

Michel

On Jan 10, 2008 10:43 PM, Lord AGNUcius <agnucius at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hello fellow P2P Researchers!
>

> My name is Patrick Anderson.  I've been lurking here for a few months, but
> when I tried to post a reply to Michel yesterday, my email was not
> recognized I think because of something to do with the way DNS resolves my
>
> email address to my hosting provider instead of to my registered domain...
>
> Anyway, that's all fixed and here is my slightly edited response:
>

> Michel,
>
> I agree with your concern, but the fix you propose would not help
> our community come to any sort of "agreement" on the definition of the
> terms we need to communicate clearly with each other.  Any such
> "agreement" would probably need to be held in a sort of semi-stable
> 'tension' after many suggestions, battles, and rewrites, but at least we
> would know what terms to choose when writing new sentences to minimize
> confusion.
>
> I consider term definition the primary reason for faulty communication and
>
> misunderstanding that often leads to unnecessary conflict and lack of
> resolution.
>
> For instance, what does the word 'Value' mean?  To some people, 'Value'
> means the ability withhold the physical sources of production from user
> control for the sole purpose of keeping price above cost.  Governments use
> this definition and the scarcity logic based on it to do terrible things
> in the name of progress including using OUR tax dollars to pay farmers to
> NOT grow foods such as wheat so supply is artificially restrained and
> profit is perpetuated.
>

> After writing that last paragraph I was reading the Oekonux list and
> noticed a great example of this:
>
> Dmytri Kleiner writes at
> http://www.oekonux.org/list-en/archive/msg04129.html
> >> Here Stefan appears to have lost his command of the distinction
> >> between "value" (use-value) and "price" (exchange-value). Does
> >> he mean that workers can capture the "use-value" of their
> >> labour-power ("work-force")? This would mean his claim was
> >> self-contradictory as with equal access to productive assets
> >> this by definition would be the final product of their
> >> labour ("value of their work")?
>
> Stefan Meretz responds with
> http://www.oekonux.org/list-en/archive/msg04145.html

> How can we ever expect to help each other resolve concerns when we are not
> even speaking the same language?  We each live in our own little world
> where every word and phrase means slightly different things to each of us
> depending upon our background and the assumptions we make.
>
> I don't really care which definition is chosen for each term, only
> that we can finally use them in regular discourse and that they are
> 'stable' enough to allow the creation of claims and proofs that have
> deterministic meaning.
>
> Once these definitions stabilize, the meaning of a sentence such as:
> "Profit can be calculated as the difference between the Price a consumer
> [...]

The P2P Foundation researches, documents and promotes peer to peer
alternatives.

Basic essay at http://www.ctheory.net/articles.aspx?id=499; interview at
http://poynder.blogspot.com/2006/09/p2p-very-core-of-world-to-come.html
BEST VIDEO ON P2P: